JournalPharmaceuticals (Basel, Switzerland)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractImmunotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) is incorporated increasingly in first line treatments protocols. Multiple phase 3 studies have tested different medications targeting programmed death receptor 1 (PD-1), programmed death-ligand 1 (PD-L1), cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-associated protein 4 (CTLA-4), with or without chemotherapy. The inclusion criteria differ between the various clinical trials, including the cut-off levels of PD-L1 expression on tumor cells, and the tumor histology (squamous or non-squamous). Patients with tumor expression levels of PD-L1 ≥ 50% are candidates for treatment with single agent Pembrolizumab or Atezolizumab. Patients with PD-L1 < 50% are candidates for immunotherapy with pembrolizumab as a single agent if PL-1 > 1%; immunotherapy doublet, Nivolumab and Ipilimumab, or single agent immunotherapy combined with chemotherapy. Here we review phase 3 clinical trials utilizing immunotherapy in the first line for treatment of NSCLC, including Pembrolizumab in KEYNOTE-024, KEYNOTE-042, KEYNOTE-189 and KEYNOTE-407; Nivolumab and Ipilimumab in CHECKMATE-227 and CHECKMATE 9LA; and Atezolizumab in IMpower110, IMpower130 and IMpower150.
immune checkpoints inhibitors
monoclonal recombinant antibodies
programmed death receptor
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14179
- Nivolumab plus ipilimumab in non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Reck M, Borghaei H, O'Byrne KJ
- Issue date: 2019 Jul
- Which is the optimal immunotherapy for advanced squamous non-small-cell lung cancer in combination with chemotherapy: anti-PD-1 or anti-PD-L1?
- Authors: Zhang Y, Zhou H, Zhang L
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 3
- The Next Immune-Checkpoint Inhibitors: PD-1/PD-L1 Blockade in Melanoma.
- Authors: Mahoney KM, Freeman GJ, McDermott DF
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 1
- A Matching-Adjusted Indirect Comparison of Pembrolizumab + Chemotherapy vs. Nivolumab + Ipilimumab as First-Line Therapies in Patients with PD-L1 TPS ≥1% Metastatic NSCLC.
- Authors: Halmos B, Burke T, Kalyvas C, Insinga R, Vandormael K, Frederickson A, Piperdi B
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 4
- The next generation of immunotherapy: keeping lung cancer in check.
- Authors: Somasundaram A, Burns TF
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 24