Management of Gram-Negative Bloodstream Infections in the Era of Rapid Diagnostic Testing: Impact With and Without Antibiotic Stewardship
JournalOpen Forum Infectious Diseases
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEight-hundred thirty-two patients were included; 237 pre-RDT/AMS vs 308 post-RDT/pre-AMS vs 237 post-RDT/AMS, respectively. The proportion of patients on optimal antibiotic therapy increased with each intervention (66.5% vs 78.9% vs 83.2%; P < .0001). Time to optimal therapy (interquartile range) decreased with introduction of RDT: 47 (7.9-67.7) hours vs 24.9 (12.4-55.2) hours vs 26.5 (10.3-66.5) hours (P = .09). Using multivariable modeling, infectious diseases (ID) consult was an effect modifier. Within the ID consult stratum, controlling for source and ICU stay, compared with the pre-RDT/AMS group, both post-RDT/pre-AMS (adjusted hazard ratio [aHR], 1.34; 95% CI, 1.04-1.72) and post-RDT/AMS (aHR, 1.28; 95% CI, 1.01-1.64), improved time to optimal therapy. This effect was not seen in the stratum without ID consult.
Rights/Terms© The Author(s) 2020. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of Infectious Diseases Society of America.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14172
- Implementation of a Rapid Phenotypic Susceptibility Platform for Gram-Negative Bloodstream Infections With Paired Antimicrobial Stewardship Intervention: Is the Juice Worth the Squeeze?
- Authors: Robinson ED, Stilwell AM, Attai AE, Donohue LE, Shah MD, Hill BK, Elliott ZS, Poulter M, Brewster F, Cox HL, Mathers AJ
- Issue date: 2021 Sep 7
- Rapid testing using the Verigene Gram-negative blood culture nucleic acid test in combination with antimicrobial stewardship intervention against Gram-negative bacteremia.
- Authors: Bork JT, Leekha S, Heil EL, Zhao L, Badamas R, Johnson JK
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Impact of a Rapid Blood Culture Diagnostic Test in a Children's Hospital Depends on Gram-Positive versus Gram-Negative Organism and Day versus Night Shift.
- Authors: Juttukonda LJ, Katz S, Gillon J, Schmitz J, Banerjee R
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 25
- Sustained multimodal antimicrobial stewardship in an Australian tertiary intensive care unit from 2008-2015: an interrupted time-series analysis.
- Authors: Adhikari S, Piza M, Taylor P, Deshpande K, Lam D, Konecny P
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Impact of a Laboratory-Developed Phenotypic Rapid Susceptibility Test Directly From Positive Blood Cultures on Time to Narrowest Effective Therapy in Patients With Gram-Negative Bacteremia: A Prospective Randomized Trial.
- Authors: Christensen AB, Footer B, Pusch T, Heath K, Iqbal M, Wang L, Tallman G, Cover C, Marfori J, Kendall B, Stucky N, Greckel M, Thomas IL, Tran K, Yip S, Oethinger M
- Issue date: 2022 Jul