SARS-CoV-2 and nervous system: From pathogenesis to clinical manifestation
Umeton, Raffaella Pizzolato
JournalJournal of Neuroimmunology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSince the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), a growing body of evidence indicates that besides common COVID-19 symptoms, patients may develop various neurological manifestations affecting both the central and peripheral nervous systems as well as skeletal muscles. These manifestations can occur prior, during and even after the onset of COVID-19 general symptoms. In this Review, we discuss the possible neuroimmunological mechanisms underlying the nervous system and skeletal muscle involvement, and viral triggered neuroimmunological conditions associated with SARS-CoV-2, as well as therapeutic approaches that have been considered for these specific complications worldwide
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2020 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
KeywordCoronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14137
- The neurology of COVID-19 revisited: A proposal from the Environmental Neurology Specialty Group of the World Federation of Neurology to implement international neurological registries.
- Authors: Román GC, Spencer PS, Reis J, Buguet A, Faris MEA, Katrak SM, Láinez M, Medina MT, Meshram C, Mizusawa H, Öztürk S, Wasay M, WFN Environmental Neurology Specialty Group.
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 15
- Evidence of Coronavirus (CoV) Pathogenesis and Emerging Pathogen SARS-CoV-2 in the Nervous System: A Review on Neurological Impairments and Manifestations.
- Authors: Jha NK, Ojha S, Jha SK, Dureja H, Singh SK, Shukla SD, Chellappan DK, Gupta G, Bhardwaj S, Kumar N, Jeyaraman M, Jain R, Muthu S, Kar R, Kumar D, Goswami VK, Ruokolainen J, Kesari KK, Singh SK, Dua K
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 19
- Neuroinvasion, neurotropic, and neuroinflammatory events of SARS-CoV-2: understanding the neurological manifestations in COVID-19 patients.
- Authors: Yachou Y, El Idrissi A, Belapasov V, Ait Benali S
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Environmental Issues and Neurological Manifestations Associated with COVID-19 Pandemic: New Aspects of the Disease?
- Authors: Bellocchio L, Bordea IR, Ballini A, Lorusso F, Hazballa D, Isacco CG, Malcangi G, Inchingolo AD, Dipalma G, Inchingolo F, Piscitelli P, Logroscino G, Miani A
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 1
- Neurological manifestations of COVID-19 and other coronaviruses: A systematic review.
- Authors: Correia AO, Feitosa PWG, Moreira JLS, Nogueira SÁR, Fonseca RB, Nobre MEP
- Issue date: 2020 Sep