Cryptococcal empyema treated with tube thoracostomy and intrapleural fibrinolysis.
JournalMonaldi Archives for Chest Disease = Archivio Monaldi per le malattie del torace
PublisherPage Press Publications
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA 55-year old woman with a history of relapsed T-cell ALL presented with right pleuritic chest pain and decreased breath sounds over the right hemithorax. Imaging of the chest showed loculated effusions. Tube thoracostomy was performed with intrapleural application of alteplase and dornase alpha over a 3-day period. Repeat imaging demonstrated a marked decrease in the volume of the effusion. In most prior published cases of pleural cryptococcosis, surgical drainage was required in addition to prolonged antifungal agents. More than 50% of patients with cryptococcal infection have severe underlying disease or immunodeficiency state making them high risk for surgery. This is the first case to our knowledge of cryptococcal empyema successfully treated with tube thoracostomy and intrapleural fibrinolysis.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14126
- Effectiveness of Intrapleural Tissue Plasminogen Activator and Dornase Alfa vs Tissue Plasminogen Activator Alone in Children with Pleural Empyema: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Authors: Livingston MH, Mahant S, Connolly B, MacLusky I, Laberge S, Giglia L, Yang C, Roberts A, Shawyer A, Brindle M, Parsons S, Stoian C, Walton JM, Thorpe KE, Chen Y, Zuo F, Mamdani M, Chan C, Loong D, Isaranuwatchai W, Ratjen F, Cohen E
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 1
- Intrapleural fibrinolysis for parapneumonic effusion and empyema in children.
- Authors: Wells RG, Havens PL
- Issue date: 2003 Aug
- Intrapleural Dornase and Tissue Plasminogen Activator in pediatric empyema (DTPA): a study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Livingston MH, Mahant S, Ratjen F, Connolly BL, Thorpe K, Mamdani M, Maclusky I, Laberge S, Giglia L, Walton JM, Yang CL, Roberts A, Shawyer AC, Brindle M, Parsons SJ, Stoian CA, Cohen E
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 24
- Intrapleural alteplase decreases parapneumonic effusion volume in children more than saline irrigation.
- Authors: Hanson SJ, Havens PL, Simpson PM, Nugent ML, Wells RG
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Efficacy and safety of intrapleural instillation of alteplase in the management of complicated pleural effusion or empyema.
- Authors: Thommi G, Nair CK, Aronow WS, Shehan C, Meyers P, McLeay M
- Issue date: 2007 Jul-Aug