Comparative analysis of gene expression between Babesia bovis blood stages and kinetes allowed by improved genome annotation
AuthorUeti, Massaro W
Johnson, Wendell C
Kappmeyer, Lowell S
Herndon, David R
Mousel, Michelle R
Reif, Kathryn E
Taus, Naomi S
Ifeonu, Olukemi O
Silva, Joana C
Suarez, Carlos E
Brayton, Kelly A
JournalInternational Journal for Parasitology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThroughout their life cycle, Babesia parasites alternate between a mammalian host, where they cause babesiosis, and the tick vector. Transition between hosts results in distinct environmental signals that influence patterns of gene expression, consistent with the morphological and functional changes operating in the parasites during their life stages. In addition, comparing differential patterns of gene expression among mammalian and tick parasite stages can provide clues for developing improved methods of control. Hereby, we upgraded the genome assembly of Babesia bovis, a bovine hemoparasite, closing a 139 kbp gap, and used RNA-Seq datasets derived from mammalian blood and tick kinete stages to update the genome annotation. Of the originally annotated genes, 1,254 required structural changes, and 326 new genes were identified, leading to a different predicted proteome compared to the original annotation. Next, the RNA-Seq data was used to identify B. bovis genes that were differentially expressed in the vertebrate and arthropod hosts. In blood stages, 28% of the genes were upregulated up to 300 fold, whereas 26% of the genes in kinetes, a tick stage, were upregulated up to >19,000 fold. We thus discovered differentially expressed genes that may play key biological roles and serve as suitable targets for the development of vaccines to control bovine babesiosis.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2020 The Author(s). Published by Elsevier Ltd.. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14120
- Analysis of Stage-Specific Protein Expression during Babesia Bovis Development within Female Rhipicephalus Microplus.
- Authors: Johnson WC, Taus NS, Reif KE, Bohaliga GA, Kappmeyer LS, Ueti MW
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 3
- Identification of proteins expressed by Babesia bigemina kinetes.
- Authors: Bohaliga GAR, Johnson WC, Taus NS, Hussein HE, Bastos RG, Suarez CE, Scoles GA, Ueti MW
- Issue date: 2019 May 28
- Transgenic Babesia bovis lacking 6-Cys sexual-stage genes as the foundation for non-transmissible live vaccines against bovine babesiosis.
- Authors: Alzan HF, Cooke BM, Suarez CE
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Unravelling the cellular and molecular pathogenesis of bovine babesiosis: is the sky the limit?
- Authors: Suarez CE, Alzan HF, Silva MG, Rathinasamy V, Poole WA, Cooke BM
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Identification of a putative methyltransferase gene of Babesia bigemina as a novel molecular biomarker uniquely expressed in parasite tick stages.
- Authors: Bohaliga GAR, Johnson WC, Taus NS, Hussein HE, Bastos RG, Suarez CE, O'Connor R, Ueti MW
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 24