Complications and mortality of typhoid fever: A global systematic review and meta-analysis
JournalJournal of Infection
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjectives: Updated estimates of the prevalence of complications and case fatality ratio (CFR) among typhoid fever patients are needed to understand disease burden. Methods: Articles published in PubMed and Web of Science from 1 January 1980 through 29 January 2020 were systematically reviewed for hospital or community-based non-surgical studies that used cultures of normally sterile sites, and hospital surgical studies of typhoid intestinal perforation (TIP) with intra- or post-operative findings suggestive of typhoid. Prevalence of 21 pre-selected recognized complications of typhoid fever, crude and median (interquartile range) CFR, and pooled CFR estimates using a random effects meta-analysis were calculated. Results: Of 113 study sites, 106 (93.8%) were located in Asia and Africa, and 84 (74.3%) were non-surgical. Among non-surgical studies, 70 (83.3%) were hospital-based. Of 10,355 confirmed typhoid patients, 2,719 (26.3%) had complications. The pooled CFR estimate among non-surgical patients was 0.9% for the Asia region and 5.4% for the Africa region. Delay in care was significantly correlated with increased CFR in Asia (r = 0.84; p<0.01). Among surgical studies, the median CFR of TIP was 15.5% (6.7–24.1%) per study. Conclusions: Our findings identify considerable typhoid-associated illness and death that could be averted with prevention measures, including typhoid conjugate vaccine introduction.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2020 The Authors. Published by Elsevier Ltd.. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14114
- Case fatality rate and length of hospital stay among patients with typhoid intestinal perforation in developing countries: a systematic literature review.
- Authors: Mogasale V, Desai SN, Mogasale VV, Park JK, Ochiai RL, Wierzba TF
- Issue date: 2014
- Global Typhoid Fever Incidence: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
- Authors: Marchello CS, Hong CY, Crump JA
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 7
- Morbidity and Mortality of Typhoid Intestinal Perforation Among Children in Sub-Saharan Africa 1995-2019: A Scoping Review.
- Authors: Birkhold M, Coulibaly Y, Coulibaly O, Dembélé P, Kim DS, Sow S, Neuzil KM
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- Case Fatality Rate of Enteric Fever in Endemic Countries: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
- Authors: Pieters Z, Saad NJ, Antillón M, Pitzer VE, Bilcke J
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 1
- Systematic review of the global epidemiology, clinical and laboratory profile of enteric fever.
- Authors: Azmatullah A, Qamar FN, Thaver D, Zaidi AK, Bhutta ZA
- Issue date: 2015 Dec