Dengue Infections in Colombia: Epidemiological Trends of a Hyperendemic Country
JournalTropical Medicine and Infectious Disease
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDengue is a major public health problem in hyperendemic countries like Colombia, the understanding of the epidemiological trends is important for the development of efficient public health policies. We conducted a systematic review of the epidemiologic data on dengue in Colombia from 1971 to 2020. A total of 375 relevant citations were identified, 36 of which fulfilled the inclusion criteria. The data of dengue and severe dengue cases, infection fatality rate, and serotype distribution were used to understand and identify gaps in the epidemiological knowledge in Colombia. The epidemiology of dengue in this country was characterized by five main outbreaks in 1998, 2002, 2010, 2013, and 2019 with high fatality rates in comparison with the average values reported in the Americas. The case fatality rate of severe dengue exceeded 2% and all four serotypes co-circulate throughout the country with some regional variations. Overall, the behavior of dengue in Colombia is influenced by multiple factors including seasonal temperature variation and socioeconomic conditions. Additionally, the most important barriers in the epidemiological surveillance of dengue may be due to the insufficient notification rate in some regions and the low active search for the circulation of different serotypes.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13980
- Epidemiological trends of dengue disease in Colombia (2000-2011): a systematic review.
- Authors: Villar LA, Rojas DP, Besada-Lombana S, Sarti E
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Dengue in Latin America: Systematic Review of Molecular Epidemiological Trends.
- Authors: Ramos-Castañeda J, Barreto Dos Santos F, Martínez-Vega R, Galvão de Araujo JM, Joint G, Sarti E
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Circulation of dengue virus serotypes in hyperendemic region of New Delhi, India during 2011-2017.
- Authors: Islam A, Abdullah M, Tazeen A, Naqvi IH, Kazim SN, Ahmed A, Alamery SF, Malik A, Parveen S
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Evolutionary history and spatio-temporal dynamics of dengue virus serotypes in an endemic region of Colombia.
- Authors: Jiménez-Silva CL, Carreño MF, Ortiz-Baez AS, Rey LA, Villabona-Arenas CJ, Ocazionez RE
- Issue date: 2018
- Episodes of the epidemiological factors correlated with prevailing viral infections with dengue virus and molecular characterization of serotype-specific dengue virus circulation in eastern India.
- Authors: Rao MRK, Padhy RN, Das MK
- Issue date: 2018 Mar