Global injury morbidity and mortality from 1990 to 2017: results from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017
PublisherBMJ Publishing Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Past research in population health trends has shown that injuries form a substantial burden of population health loss. Regular updates to injury burden assessments are critical. We report Global Burden of Disease (GBD) 2017 Study estimates on morbidity and mortality for all injuries. METHODS: We reviewed results for injuries from the GBD 2017 study. GBD 2017 measured injury-specific mortality and years of life lost (YLLs) using the Cause of Death Ensemble model. To measure non-fatal injuries, GBD 2017 modelled injury-specific incidence and converted this to prevalence and years lived with disability (YLDs). YLLs and YLDs were summed to calculate disability-adjusted life years (DALYs). FINDINGS: In 1990, there were 4 260 493 (4 085 700 to 4 396 138) injury deaths, which increased to 4 484 722 (4 332 010 to 4 585 554) deaths in 2017, while age-standardised mortality decreased from 1079 (1073 to 1086) to 738 (730 to 745) per 100 000. In 1990, there were 354 064 302 (95% uncertainty interval: 338 174 876 to 371 610 802) new cases of injury globally, which increased to 520 710 288 (493 430 247 to 547 988 635) new cases in 2017. During this time, age-standardised incidence decreased non-significantly from 6824 (6534 to 7147) to 6763 (6412 to 7118) per 100 000. Between 1990 and 2017, age-standardised DALYs decreased from 4947 (4655 to 5233) per 100 000 to 3267 (3058 to 3505). INTERPRETATION: Injuries are an important cause of health loss globally, though mortality has declined between 1990 and 2017. Future research in injury burden should focus on prevention in high-burden populations, improving data collection and ensuring access to medical care. © Author(s) (or their employer(s)) 2020.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13966
- Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 354 diseases and injuries for 195 countries and territories, 1990-2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017.
- Authors: GBD 2017 Disease and Injury Incidence and Prevalence Collaborators.
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 10
- Global, regional, and national disability-adjusted life-years (DALYs) for 359 diseases and injuries and healthy life expectancy (HALE) for 195 countries and territories, 1990-2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017.
- Authors: GBD 2017 DALYs and HALE Collaborators.
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 10
- The global burden of falls: global, regional and national estimates of morbidity and mortality from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017.
- Authors: James SL, Lucchesi LR, Bisignano C, Castle CD, Dingels ZV, Fox JT, Hamilton EB, Henry NJ, Krohn KJ, Liu Z, McCracken D, Nixon MR, Roberts NLS, Sylte DO, Adsuar JC, Arora A, Briggs AM, Collado-Mateo D, Cooper C, Dandona L, Dandona R, Ellingsen CL, Fereshtehnejad SM, Gill TK, Haagsma JA, Hendrie D, Jürisson M, Kumar GA, Lopez AD, Miazgowski T, Miller TR, Mini GK, Mirrakhimov EM, Mohamadi E, Olivares PR, Rahim F, Riera LS, Villafaina S, Yano Y, Hay SI, Lim SS, Mokdad AH, Naghavi M, Murray CJL
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Global, regional, and national deaths, prevalence, disability-adjusted life years, and years lived with disability for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and asthma, 1990-2015: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015.
- Authors: GBD 2015 Chronic Respiratory Disease Collaborators.
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Changes in disease burden in Poland between 1990-2017 in comparison with other Central European countries: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017.
- Authors: Gańczak M, Miazgowski T, Kożybska M, Kotwas A, Korzeń M, Rudnicki B, Nogal T, Andrei CL, Ausloos M, Banach M, Brazinova A, Constantin MM, Dubljanin E, Herteliu C, Hostiuc M, Hostiuc S, Jakovljevic M, Jozwiak JJ, Kissimova-Skarbek K, Król ZJ, Mestrovic T, Miazgowski B, Milevska Kostova N, Naghavi M, Negoi I, Negoi RI, Pana A, Rubino S, Sekerija M, Sierpinski R, Szponar L, Topor-Madry R, Vujcic IS, Widecka J, Widecka K, Wojtyniak B, Zadnik V, Kopec JA
- Issue date: 2020