School Closures During COVID-19: Opportunities for Innovation in Meal Service
AuthorKinsey, Eliza W
Hecht, Amelie A
Dunn, Caroline Glagola
Read, Margaret A
Seligman, Hilary K
Hager, Erin R
JournalAmerican Journal of Public Health
PublisherAmerican Public Health Association
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn 2019, the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program served approximately 15 million breakfasts and 30 million lunches daily at low or no cost to students.Access to these meals has been disrupted as a result of long-term school closures related to the COVID-19 pandemic, potentially decreasing both student nutrient intake and household food security. By the week of March 23, 2020, all states had mandated statewide school closures as a result of the pandemic, and the number of weekly missed breakfasts and lunches served at school reached a peak of approximately 169.6 million; this weekly estimate remained steady through the final week of April.We highlight strategies that states and school districts are using to replace these missed meals, including a case study from Maryland and the US Department of Agriculture waivers that, in many cases, have introduced flexibility to allow for innovation. Also, we explore lessons learned from the pandemic with the goal of informing and strengthening future school nutrition policies for out-of-school time, such as over the summer.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13931
- Addressing Food Insecurity through a Health Equity Lens: a Case Study of Large Urban School Districts during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Authors: McLoughlin GM, McCarthy JA, McGuirt JT, Singleton CR, Dunn CG, Gadhoke P
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Estimation of US Children's Educational Attainment and Years of Life Lost Associated With Primary School Closures During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 Pandemic.
- Authors: Christakis DA, Van Cleve W, Zimmerman FJ
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 2
- Updated Nutrition Standards Have Significantly Improved the Nutritional Quality of School Lunches and Breakfasts.
- Authors: Gearan EC, Fox MK
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Community eligibility and other provisions for universal free meals at school: impact on student breakfast and lunch participation in California public schools.
- Authors: Turner L, Guthrie JF, Ralston K
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 1
- Food for thought during school closures.
- Authors: The Lancet Diabetes Endocrinology
- Issue date: 2020 Nov