JournalInternational journal of molecular sciences
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLeveraging the immune system to thwart cancer is not a novel strategy and has been explored via cancer vaccines and use of immunomodulators like interferons. However, it was not until the introduction of immune checkpoint inhibitors that we realized the true potential of immunotherapy in combating cancer. Oncolytic viruses are one such immunotherapeutic tool that is currently being explored in cancer therapeutics. We present the most comprehensive systematic review of all oncolytic viruses in Phase 1, 2, and 3 clinical trials published to date. We performed a systematic review of all published clinical trials indexed in PubMed that utilized oncolytic viruses. Trials were reviewed for type of oncolytic virus used, method of administration, study design, disease type, primary outcome, and relevant adverse effects. A total of 120 trials were found; 86 trials were available for our review. Included were 60 phase I trials, five phase I/II combination trials, 19 phase II trials, and two phase III clinical trials. Oncolytic viruses are feverously being evaluated in oncology with over 30 different types of oncolytic viruses being explored either as a single agent or in combination with other antitumor agents. To date, only one oncolytic virus therapy has received an FDA approval but advances in bioengineering techniques and our understanding of immunomodulation to heighten oncolytic virus replication and improve tumor kill raises optimism for its future drug development.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13913
- Oncolytic virus immunotherapy: future prospects for oncology.
- Authors: Raja J, Ludwig JM, Gettinger SN, Schalper KA, Kim HS
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 4
- Oncolytic virus therapy: A new era of cancer treatment at dawn.
- Authors: Fukuhara H, Ino Y, Todo T
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Updates to the antitumor mechanism of oncolytic virus.
- Authors: Bai Y, Hui P, Du X, Su X
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Oncolytic Viruses: Therapeutics With an Identity Crisis.
- Authors: Breitbach CJ, Lichty BD, Bell JC
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Development of oncolytic virotherapy: from genetic modification to combination therapy.
- Authors: Lan Q, Xia S, Wang Q, Xu W, Huang H, Jiang S, Lu L
- Issue date: 2020 Apr