The association between carbon dioxide, cerebral blood flow, and autoregulation in the premature infant
JournalJournal of perinatology : official journal of the California Perinatal Association
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjective: Evaluate the association between carbon dioxide (pCO2), cerebral blood flow (CBF), and cerebral autoregulation (CA) in preterm infants. Study design: Cerebral saturations (rScO2, surrogate for CBF using NIRS) and mean arterial blood pressure (MAP) monitored for 96 h in infants <29 weeks gestation. Relationship between rScO2, the rScO2-MAP correlation (CA analysis) and pCO2 category assessed by mixed effects modeling. Results: Median pCO2 differed by postnatal day (p < 0.0001)—pCO2 increased between day 1 and 2, and low variability seen on day 4. A 5% increase in rScO2 was noted when pCO2 was >55 mmHg on each postnatal day (p < 0.001). No association observed between the overall rScO2-MAP correlation and pCO2. On day 1 only, the correlation coefficient decreased from 0.26 to −0.09 as pCO2 category increased (p = 0.02). Conclusions: CBF increased above a pCO2 threshold of 55 mmHg, but overall, no association between pCO2 and CA was noted.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13906
- Simultaneous influence of blood pressure, PCO2, and PO2 on cerebral blood flow velocity in preterm infants of less than 33 weeks' gestation.
- Authors: Menke J, Michel E, Rabe H, Bresser BW, Grohs B, Schmitt RM, Jorch G
- Issue date: 1993 Aug
- Assessing key clinical parameters before and after intraventricular hemorrhage in very preterm infants.
- Authors: Lampe R, Rieger-Fackeldey E, Sidorenko I, Turova V, Botkin N, Eckardt L, Alves-Pinto A, Kovtanyuk A, Schündeln M, Felderhoff-Müser U
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Cerebral oxygenation, extraction, and autoregulation in very preterm infants who develop peri-intraventricular hemorrhage.
- Authors: Alderliesten T, Lemmers PM, Smarius JJ, van de Vosse RE, Baerts W, van Bel F
- Issue date: 2013 Apr
- Effect of carbon dioxide on cerebral blood flow velocity in preterm infants during postnatal transition.
- Authors: Noori S, Anderson M, Soleymani S, Seri I
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- [Detection of changes in cerebral blood flow and cerebrovascular autoregulation by near-infrared spectroscopy in newborn piglets].
- Authors: Huang HJ, Shao XM, Cheng GQ
- Issue date: 2007 May