Influence of broader geographic allograft sharing on outcomes and cost in smaller lung transplant centers
Mehaffey, J Hunter
Krupnick, Alexander S
JournalJournal of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOn November 24, 2017, Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network implemented a change to lung allocation replacing donor service area with a 250 nautical mile radius around donor hospitals. We sought to evaluate the experience of a small to medium size center following implementation. Methods: Patients (47 pre and 54 post) undergoing lung transplantation were identified from institutional database from January 2016 to October 2019. Detailed chart review and analysis of institutional cost data was performed. Univariate analysis was performed to compare eras. Results: Similar short-term mortality and primary graft dysfunction were observed between groups. Decreased local donation (68% vs 6%; P < .001), increased travel distance (145 vs 235 miles; P = .004), travel cost ($8626 vs $14,482; P < .001), and total procurement cost ($60,852 vs $69,052; P = .001) were observed postimplementation. We also document an increase in waitlist mortality postimplementation (6.9 vs 31.6 per 100 patient-years; P < .001). Conclusions: Following implementation of the new allocation policy in a small to medium size center, several changes were in accordance with policy intention. However, concerning shifts emerged, including increased waitlist mortality and resource utilization. Continued close monitoring of transplant centers stratified by size and location are paramount to maintaining global availability of lung transplantation to all Americans regardless of geographic residence or socioeconomic status.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2020 The American Association for Thoracic Surgery. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13854
- Effect of broader geographic sharing of donor lungs on lung transplant waitlist outcomes.
- Authors: Mooney JJ, Bhattacharya J, Dhillon GS
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Validating thoracic simulated allocation model predictions for impact of broader geographic sharing of donor lungs on transplant waitlist outcomes.
- Authors: Lehr CJ, Skeans M, Valapour M
- Issue date: 2020 May
- Effects of broader geographic distribution of donor lungs on travel mode and estimated costs of organ procurement.
- Authors: Lehr CJ, Skeans MA, Lease ED, Valapour M
- Issue date: 2021 Dec
- The new allocation era and policy.
- Authors: Benvenuto LJ, Arcasoy SM
- Issue date: 2021 Nov
- Shipping Lungs Greater Distances Increases Costs Without Cutting Waitlist Mortality.
- Authors: Yang Z, Gerull WD, Gauthier JM, Meyers BF, Kozower BD, Patterson GA, Nava RG, Hachem RR, Witt CA, Byers DE, Marklin GF, Ridolfi G, Liu J, Kreisel D, Puri V
- Issue date: 2020 Nov