The novel use of the Haemodialysis reliable outflow graft (HeRo) in intestinal failure patients with end-stage vascular access.
JournalThe journal of vascular access
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntestinal failure (IF) patients are dependent on central venous access to receive parenteral nutrition. Longstanding central venous catheters are associated with life-threatening complications including infections and thromboses resulting in multiple line exchanges and the development ofprogressive central venous stenosis or occlusion. The Haemodialysis Reliable Outflow (HeRO) graft is an arterio-venous device that has been successfully used in haemodialysis patients with 'end-stage vascular access'. We describe a case series of HeRO graft use in patients with IF and end-stage vascular access. Four HeRO grafts were inserted into IF patients with end-stage vascular access to facilitate or support intestinal transplantation. In all patients the HeRO facilitated immediate vascular access, supporting different combinations of parenteral nutrition, intravenous medications, fluids or renal replacement therapy with no bloodstream infections. In a highly complex group of IF patients with central venous stenosis/occlusion limiting conventional venous access or at risk of life-threatening catheter-related complications, a HeRO® graft can be a feasible alternative.
KeywordHemodialysis Reliable Outflow (HeRO) graft
catheters dialysis access
central venous occlusion
techniques and procedures
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13849
- From ZeRO to HeRO: Saving lives one HeRO at a time.
- Authors: Ratcliff DC, Hansrani MM
- Issue date: 2016
- Cost analysis of the Hemodialysis Reliable Outflow (HeRO) Graft compared to the tunneled dialysis catheter.
- Authors: Al Shakarchi J, Inston N, Jones RG, Maclaine G, Hollinworth D
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- [The use of HeRO (Hemodialysis Reliable Outflow) graft in hemodialysis].
- Authors: Legeza P, Garbaisz D, Szeberin Z, Sótonyi P
- Issue date: 2019 Aug
- A Review on the Hemodialysis Reliable Outflow (HeRO) Graft for Haemodialysis Vascular Access.
- Authors: Al Shakarchi J, Houston JG, Jones RG, Inston N
- Issue date: 2015 Jul
- The use of HeRo catheter in catheter-dependent dialysis patients with superior vena cava occlusion.
- Authors: Davis KL, Gurley JC, Davenport DL, Xenos ES
- Issue date: 2016 Mar-Apr