Classification and treatment of endothermal heat-induced thrombosis: Recommendations from the American Venous Forum and the Society for Vascular Surgery
AuthorKabnick, Lowell S
Coleman, Dawn M
Dillavou, Ellen D
Hingorani, Anil P
Lal, Brajesh K
Lawrence, Peter F
PublisherSAGE Publications Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe American Venous Forum (AVF) and the Society for Vascular Surgery set forth these guidelines for the management of endothermal heat-induced thrombosis (EHIT). The guidelines serve to compile the body of literature on EHIT and to put forth evidence-based recommendations. The guidelines are divided into the following categories: classification of EHIT, risk factors and prevention, and treatment of EHIT. One major feature is to standardize the reporting under one classification system. The Kabnick and Lawrence classification systems are now combined into the AVF EHIT classification system. The novel classification system affords standardization in reporting but also allows continued combined evaluation with the current body of literature. Recommendations codify the use of duplex ultrasound for the diagnosis of EHIT. Risk factor assessments and methods of prevention including mechanical prophylaxis, chemical prophylaxis, and ablation distance are discussed. Treatment guidelines are tailored to the AVF EHIT class (ie, I, II, III, IV). Reference is made to the use of surveillance, antiplatelet therapy, and anticoagulants as deemed indicated, and the recommendations incorporate the use of the novel direct oral anticoagulants. Last, EHIT management as it relates to the great and small saphenous veins is discussed.
DescriptionThis Practice Guidelines document has been co-published in Phlebology [DOI: 10.1177/0268355520953759] and Journal of Vascular Surgery: Venous and Lymphatic Disorders [DOI: 10.1016/j.jvsv.2020.06.008]. The publications are identical except for minor stylistic and spelling differences in keeping with each journal’s style. The contribution has been published under a Attribution-Non Commercial-No Derivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0), (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13848
- Classification and treatment of endothermal heat-induced thrombosis: Recommendations from the American Venous Forum and the Society for Vascular Surgery.
- Authors: Kabnick LS, Sadek M, Bjarnason H, Coleman DM, Dillavou ED, Hingorani AP, Lal BK, Lawrence PF, Malgor RD, Puggioni A
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Triage of patients with venous and lymphatic diseases during the COVID-19 pandemic - The Venous and Lymphatic Triage and Acuity Scale (VELTAS) : A consensus document of the International Union of Phlebology (UIP), Australasian College of Phlebology (ACP), American Vein and Lymphatic Society (AVLS), American Venous Forum (AVF), European College of Phlebology (ECoP), European Venous Forum (EVF), Interventional Radiology Society of Australasia (IRSA), Latin American Venous Forum, Pan-American Society of Phlebology and Lymphology and the Venous Association of India (VAI) This consensus document has been co-published in <i>Phlebology</i> [DOI: 10.1177/0268355520930884] and <i>Journal of Vascular Surgery: Venous and Lymphatic Disorders</i> [DOI: 10.1016/j.jvsv.2020.05.002]. The publications are identical except for minor stylistic and spelling differences in keeping with each journal's style. The contribution has been published under a Attribution-Non Commercial-No Derivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0), (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
- Authors: Parsi K, van Rij AM, Meissner MH, Davies AH, Maeseneer M, Gloviczki P, Benson S, Bottini O, Canata VM, Dinnen P, Gasparis A, Gianesini S, Huber D, Jenkins D, Lal BK, Kabnick L, Lim A, Marston W, Granados AM, Morrison N, Nicolaides A, Paraskevas P, Patel M, Roberts S, Rogan C, Schul MW, Komlos P, Stirling A, Thibault S, Varghese R, Welch HJ, Wittens CH
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- The proximity of the superficial epigastric vein to the saphenofemoral junction is associated with endovenous heat-induced thrombosis after radiofrequency ablation for varicose veins.
- Authors: Kitagawa A, Yamada Y, Nagao T
- Issue date: 2021 May
- Outcomes of a single-center experience with classification and treatment of endothermal heat-induced thrombosis after endovenous ablation.
- Authors: Korepta LM, Watson JJ, Mansour MA, Chambers CM, Cuff RF, Slaikeu JD, Wong PY
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Value of delayed duplex ultrasound assessment after endothermal ablation of the great saphenous vein.
- Authors: Ryer EJ, Elmore JR, Garvin RP, Cindric MC, Dove JT, Kekulawela S, Franklin DP
- Issue date: 2016 Aug