Use of CT simulation and 3-D radiation therapy treatment planning system to develop and validate a total-body irradiation technique for the New Zealand White rabbit
JournalInternational journal of radiation biology
PublisherTaylor and Francis Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe optimal technique irradiates animals on the left-decubitus position using two isocentric bilateral parallel-opposed 6 MV x-ray beams. Placement of a 5 mm bolus and 8.5 mm beam spoiler was shown to increase the dose to within ≤5 mm of the surface, improving dose homogeneity throughout the body of the rabbit. A simple hand calculation formalism, dependent only on mid-abdominal separation, could be used to calculate the number of monitor units (MUs) required to accurately deliver the prescribed dose to the animal. For the representative animal, the total body volume receiving > 95% of the dose, V95% > 99%, V100% > 95%, and V107% < 20%. The area of the body receiving >107% of the prescribed dose was mainly within the limbs, head, and around the lungs of the animal, where the smaller animal width reduces the x-ray attenuation. Individual organs were contoured by an experienced dosimetrist, and each received doses within 95-107% of the intended dose, with mean values ∼104%. Only the bronchus showed a maximal dose >107% (113%) due to the decreased attenuation of the lungs. To validate the technique, twenty animals were irradiated with four optically-stimulated luminescence dosimeters (OSLDs) placed on the surface of each animal (two on each side in the center of the radiation beam). The average dose over all animals was within <0.1% from intended values, with no animal receiving an average dose more than ±3.1% from prescription.
KeywordAcute radiation syndrome (ARS)
animal model organisms
models of radiation responses
total body irradiation (TBI)
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13805
- The Impact of Radiation Energy on Dose Homogeneity and Organ Dose in the Göttingen Minipig Total-Body Irradiation Model.
- Authors: Poirier Y, Becker S, Decesaris C, Culberson W, Draeger E, Gerry AJ, Johnstone CD, Gibbs A, Vujaskovic Z, Jackson IL
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 10
- Commissioning of total body irradiation using plastic bead bags.
- Authors: Akino Y, Maruoka S, Yano K, Abe H, Isohashi F, Seo Y, Tamari K, Hirata T, Kawakami M, Nakae Y, Tanaka Y, Ogawa K
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 16
- Dosimetry in translation total body irradiation technique: a computer treatment planning approach and an experimental study concerning lung sparing.
- Authors: Zabatis Ch, Koligliatis T, Xenofos S, Pistevou K, Psarakos K, Haritanti A, Beroukas K
- Issue date: 2008 Apr-Jun
- In-vivo dosimetry by diode semiconductors in combination with portal films during TBI: reporting a 5-year clinical experience.
- Authors: Mangili P, Fiorino C, Rosso A, Cattaneo GM, Parisi R, Villa E, Calandrino R
- Issue date: 1999 Sep
- CT-based analysis of dose homogeneity in total body irradiation using lateral beam.
- Authors: Hui SK, Das RK, Thomadsen B, Henderson D
- Issue date: 2004 Autumn