Use of CT simulation and 3-D radiation therapy treatment planning system to develop and validate a total-body irradiation technique for the New Zealand White rabbit
JournalInternational journal of radiation biology
PublisherTaylor and Francis Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe optimal technique irradiates animals on the left-decubitus position using two isocentric bilateral parallel-opposed 6 MV x-ray beams. Placement of a 5 mm bolus and 8.5 mm beam spoiler was shown to increase the dose to within ≤5 mm of the surface, improving dose homogeneity throughout the body of the rabbit. A simple hand calculation formalism, dependent only on mid-abdominal separation, could be used to calculate the number of monitor units (MUs) required to accurately deliver the prescribed dose to the animal. For the representative animal, the total body volume receiving > 95% of the dose, V95% > 99%, V100% > 95%, and V107% < 20%. The area of the body receiving >107% of the prescribed dose was mainly within the limbs, head, and around the lungs of the animal, where the smaller animal width reduces the x-ray attenuation. Individual organs were contoured by an experienced dosimetrist, and each received doses within 95-107% of the intended dose, with mean values ∼104%. Only the bronchus showed a maximal dose >107% (113%) due to the decreased attenuation of the lungs. To validate the technique, twenty animals were irradiated with four optically-stimulated luminescence dosimeters (OSLDs) placed on the surface of each animal (two on each side in the center of the radiation beam). The average dose over all animals was within <0.1% from intended values, with no animal receiving an average dose more than ±3.1% from prescription.
KeywordAcute radiation syndrome (ARS)
animal model organisms
models of radiation responses
total body irradiation (TBI)
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13805
- The Impact of Radiation Energy on Dose Homogeneity and Organ Dose in the Göttingen Minipig Total-Body Irradiation Model.
- Authors: Poirier Y, Becker S, Decesaris C, Culberson W, Draeger E, Gerry AJ, Johnstone CD, Gibbs A, Vujaskovic Z, Jackson IL
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 10
- A New Zealand White rabbit model of thrombocytopenia and coagulopathy following total body irradiation across the dose range to induce the hematopoietic-subsyndrome of acute radiation syndrome.
- Authors: Jackson IL, Gurung G, Poirier Y, Gopalakrishnan M, Cohen EP, Donohue TS, Newman D, Vujaskovic Z
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 5
- Accuracy of Dose Calculation for Hemibody Treatments at Extended Distance Using a Commercial Treatment Planning System.
- Authors: Batta Y, Juhasz J, Farrell T
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Validation of OSLD and a treatment planning system for surface dose determination in IMRT treatments.
- Authors: Zhuang AH, Olch AJ
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- In-vivo dosimetry by diode semiconductors in combination with portal films during TBI: reporting a 5-year clinical experience.
- Authors: Mangili P, Fiorino C, Rosso A, Cattaneo GM, Parisi R, Villa E, Calandrino R
- Issue date: 1999 Sep