The reliability and heritability of cortical folds and their genetic correlations across hemispheres
Mathias, Samuel R
Boyd, Joshua D
McMahon, Katie L
de Zubicaray, Greig I
Martin, Nicholas G
Glahn, David C
Wright, Margaret J
Thompson, Paul M
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCortical folds help drive the parcellation of the human cortex into functionally specific regions. Variations in the length, depth, width, and surface area of these sulcal landmarks have been associated with disease, and may be genetically mediated. Before estimating the heritability of sulcal variation, the extent to which these metrics can be reliably extracted from in-vivo MRI must be established. Using four independent test-retest datasets, we found high reliability across the brain (intraclass correlation interquartile range: 0.65–0.85). Heritability estimates were derived for three family-based cohorts using variance components analysis and pooled (total N > 3000); the overall sulcal heritability pattern was correlated to that derived for a large population cohort (N > 9000) calculated using genomic complex trait analysis. Overall, sulcal width was the most heritable metric, and earlier forming sulci showed higher heritability. The inter-hemispheric genetic correlations were high, yet select sulci showed incomplete pleiotropy, suggesting hemisphere-specific genetic influences.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13788
- Robust estimation of sulcal morphology.
- Authors: Madan CR
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 11
- The Heritability of Cortical Folding: Evidence from the Human Connectome Project.
- Authors: Schmitt JE, Raznahan A, Liu S, Neale MC
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 1
- Genetic Influence on the Sulcal Pits: On the Origin of the First Cortical Folds.
- Authors: Le Guen Y, Auzias G, Leroy F, Noulhiane M, Dehaene-Lambertz G, Duchesnay E, Mangin JF, Coulon O, Frouin V
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 1
- Spatial distribution and longitudinal development of deep cortical sulcal landmarks in infants.
- Authors: Meng Y, Li G, Lin W, Gilmore JH, Shen D
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 15
- Test-retest reliability and sample size estimates after MRI scanner relocation.
- Authors: Melzer TR, Keenan RJ, Leeper GJ, Kingston-Smith S, Felton SA, Green SK, Henderson KJ, Palmer NJ, Shoorangiz R, Almuqbel MM, Myall DJ
- Issue date: 2020 May 1