Rolfo, Christian D
JournalInternational Journal of Molecular Sciences
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNon-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) represents roughly 85% of lung cancers, with an incidence that increases yearly across the world. The introduction in clinical practice of several new and more effective molecules has led to a consistent improvement in survival and quality of life in locally advanced and metastatic NSCLC. In particular, oncogenic drivers have indeed transformed the therapeutic algorithm for NSCLC. Nearly 25% of patients are diagnosed in an early stage when NSCLC is still amenable to radical surgery. In spite of this, five-year survival rates for fully resected early stage remains rather disappointing. Adjuvant chemotherapy has shown a modest survival benefit depending on the stage, but more than half of patients relapse. Given this need for improvement, over the last years different targeted therapies have been evaluated in early-stage NSCLC with no survival benefit in unselected patients. However, the identification of reliable predictive biomarkers to these agents in the metastatic setting, the design of molecularly-oriented studies, and the availability of novel potent and less toxic agents opened the way for a novel era in early stage NSCLC treatment. In this review, we will discuss the current landscape of targeted therapeutic options in early NSCLC.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13686
- Systemic and targeted therapies for early-stage lung cancer.
- Authors: Byron E, Pinder-Schenck M
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Designing a definitive trial for adjuvant targeted therapy in genotype defined lung cancer: the ALCHEMIST trials.
- Authors: Alden RS, Mandrekar SJ, Oxnard GR
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: Sequencing Agents in the EGFR-Mutated/ALK-Rearranged Populations.
- Authors: Singhi EK, Horn L, Sequist LV, Heymach J, Langer CJ
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Molecularly targeted therapies in locally advanced non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Devarakonda S, Morgensztern D, Govindan R
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Molecularly targeted therapies in non-small cell lung cancer: The evolving role of tyrosine kinase inhibitors.
- Authors: Doval DC, Desai CJ, Sahoo TP
- Issue date: 2019 Nov