Rolfo, Christian D
JournalInternational Journal of Molecular Sciences
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNon-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) represents roughly 85% of lung cancers, with an incidence that increases yearly across the world. The introduction in clinical practice of several new and more effective molecules has led to a consistent improvement in survival and quality of life in locally advanced and metastatic NSCLC. In particular, oncogenic drivers have indeed transformed the therapeutic algorithm for NSCLC. Nearly 25% of patients are diagnosed in an early stage when NSCLC is still amenable to radical surgery. In spite of this, five-year survival rates for fully resected early stage remains rather disappointing. Adjuvant chemotherapy has shown a modest survival benefit depending on the stage, but more than half of patients relapse. Given this need for improvement, over the last years different targeted therapies have been evaluated in early-stage NSCLC with no survival benefit in unselected patients. However, the identification of reliable predictive biomarkers to these agents in the metastatic setting, the design of molecularly-oriented studies, and the availability of novel potent and less toxic agents opened the way for a novel era in early stage NSCLC treatment. In this review, we will discuss the current landscape of targeted therapeutic options in early NSCLC.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13686
- Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Mutation (EGFR) Testing for Prediction of Response to EGFR-Targeting Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor (TKI) Drugs in Patients with Advanced Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer: An Evidence-Based Analysis.
- Authors: Medical Advisory Secretariat.
- Issue date: 2010
- Systemic and targeted therapies for early-stage lung cancer.
- Authors: Byron E, Pinder-Schenck M
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Overview of resistance to systemic therapy in patients with breast cancer.
- Authors: Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Morales-Vasquez F, Hortobagyi GN
- Issue date: 2007
- New molecular targets in the treatment of NSCLC.
- Authors: Schettino C, Bareschino MA, Sacco PC, Maione P, Rossi A, Casaluce F, Sgambato A, Gridelli C
- Issue date: 2013
- Adjuvant treatment of non-small cell lung cancer: focus on targeted therapy.
- Authors: Tazza M, Metro G
- Issue date: 2017 Oct