Molecular assessment of antibody-mediated rejection in human pancreas allograft biopsies
de Kort, Hanneke
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPancreas transplant longevity is limited by immune rejection, which is diagnosed by graft biopsy using the Banff Classification. The histological criteria for antibody-mediated rejection (AMR) are poorly reproducible and inconsistently associated with outcome. We hypothesized that a 34-gene set associated with antibody-mediated rejection in other solid organ transplants could improve diagnosis in pancreas grafts. The AMR 34-gene set, comprising endothelial, natural killer cell and inflammatory genes, was quantified using the NanoString platform in 52 formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded pancreas transplant biopsies from 41 patients: 15 with pure AMR or mixed rejection, 22 with T cell-mediated rejection/borderline and 15 without rejection. The AMR 34-gene set was significantly increased in pure AMR and mixed rejection (P =.001) vs no rejection. The gene set predicted histological AMR with an area under the receiver operating characteristic curve (ROC AUC) of 0.714 (P =.004). The AMR 34-gene set was the only biopsy feature significantly predictive of allograft failure in univariate analysis (P =.048). Adding gene expression to DSA and histology increased ROC AUC for the prediction of failure from 0.736 to 0.770, but this difference did not meet statistical significance. In conclusion, assessment of transcripts has the potential to improve diagnosis and outcome prediction in pancreas graft biopsies. © 2020 The Authors.
Rights/Terms© 2020 The Authors. Clinical Transplantation published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
RNA and/or transcript
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13668
- Molecular Assessment of Microcirculation Injury in Formalin-Fixed Human Cardiac Allograft Biopsies With Antibody-Mediated Rejection.
- Authors: Afzali B, Chapman E, Racapé M, Adam B, Bruneval P, Gil F, Kim D, Hidalgo L, Campbell P, Sis B, Duong Van Huyen JP, Mengel M
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Chronic Antibody-Mediated Rejection in Nonhuman Primate Renal Allografts: Validation of Human Histological and Molecular Phenotypes.
- Authors: Adam BA, Smith RN, Rosales IA, Matsunami M, Afzali B, Oura T, Cosimi AB, Kawai T, Colvin RB, Mengel M
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Acute cellular and antibody-mediated rejection of the pancreas allograft: incidence, risk factors and outcomes.
- Authors: Niederhaus SV, Leverson GE, Lorentzen DF, Robillard DJ, Sollinger HW, Pirsch JD, Torrealba JR, Odorico JS
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Gene Expression Profiling for the Identification and Classification of Antibody-Mediated Heart Rejection.
- Authors: Loupy A, Duong Van Huyen JP, Hidalgo L, Reeve J, Racapé M, Aubert O, Venner JM, Falmuski K, Bories MC, Beuscart T, Guillemain R, François A, Pattier S, Toquet C, Gay A, Rouvier P, Varnous S, Leprince P, Empana JP, Lefaucheur C, Bruneval P, Jouven X, Halloran PF
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 7
- Reverse transcriptase multiplex ligation-dependent probe amplification in endomyocardial biopsies for the diagnosis of cardiac allograft rejection.
- Authors: Adam N, Coutance G, Viailly PJ, Drieux F, Ruminy P, Sater AA, Toquet C, Rouvier P, François A, Chenard MP, Epailly E, Guillemain R, Pattier S, Gay A, Varnous S, Taupin JL, Rabant M, Loupy A, Bruneval P, Duong Van Huyen JP
- Issue date: 2020 Feb