Population-scale longitudinal mapping of COVID-19 symptoms, behaviour and testing
AuthorAllen, William E.
Coull, Brent A.
Greene, Casey S.
Cheng, David R.
JournalNature Human Behaviour
PublisherSpringer Science and Business Media LLC
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDespite the widespread implementation of public health measures, coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) continues to spread in the United States. To facilitate an agile response to the pandemic, we developed How We Feel, a web and mobile application that collects longitudinal self-reported survey responses on health, behaviour and demographics. Here, we report results from over 500,000 users in the United States from 2 April 2020 to 12 May 2020. We show that self-reported surveys can be used to build predictive models to identify likely COVID-19-positive individuals. We find evidence among our users for asymptomatic or presymptomatic presentation; show a variety of exposure, occupational and demographic risk factors for COVID-19 beyond symptoms; reveal factors for which users have been SARS-CoV-2 PCR tested; and highlight the temporal dynamics of symptoms and self-isolation behaviour. These results highlight the utility of collecting a diverse set of symptomatic, demographic, exposure and behavioural self-reported data to fight the COVID-19 pandemic. © 2020, The Author(s).
SponsorsNational Cancer Institute
KeywordHow We Feel Project
COVID-19--prevention & control
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13624
- Privacy in the Coronavirus Era.
- Authors: Labs J, Terry S
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- Implementation of a Pooled Surveillance Testing Program for Asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 Infections on a College Campus - Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, August 2-October 11, 2020.
- Authors: Denny TN, Andrews L, Bonsignori M, Cavanaugh K, Datto MB, Deckard A, DeMarco CT, DeNaeyer N, Epling CA, Gurley T, Haase SB, Hallberg C, Harer J, Kneifel CL, Lee MJ, Louzao R, Moody MA, Moore Z, Polage CR, Puglin J, Spotts PH, Vaughn JA, Wolfe CR
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 20
- Population-scale Longitudinal Mapping of COVID-19 Symptoms, Behavior, and Testing Identifies Contributors to Continued Disease Spread in the United States.
- Authors: Allen WE, Altae-Tran H, Briggs J, Jin X, McGee G, Raghavan R, Shi A, Kamariza M, Nova N, Pereta A, Danford C, Kamel A, Gothe P, Milam E, Aurambault J, Primke T, Li C, Inkenbrandt J, Huynh T, Chen E, Lee C, Croatto M, Bentley H, Lu W, Murray R, Travassos M, Openshaw J, Coull B, Greene C, Shalem O, King G, Probasco R, Cheng D, Silbermann B, Zhang F, Lin X
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 11
- How Africa has tackled covid-19.
- Authors: Wadvalla BA
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 16
- Could masks curtail the post-lockdown resurgence of COVID-19 in the US?
- Authors: Ngonghala CN, Iboi EA, Gumel AB
- Issue date: 2020 Nov