A Review of Continuous Glucose Monitoring-Based Composite Metrics for Glycemic Control
JournalDiabetes technology & therapeutics
PublisherMary Ann Liebert
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe performed a literature review of composite metrics for describing the quality of glycemic control, as measured by continuous glucose monitors (CGMs). Nine composite metrics that describe CGM data were identified. They are described in detail along with their advantages and disadvantages. The primary benefit to using composite metrics in clinical practice is to be able to quickly evaluate a patient's glycemic control in the form of a single number that accounts for multiple dimensions of glycemic control. Very little data exist about (1) how to select the optimal components of composite metrics for CGM; (2) how to best score individual components of composite metrics; and (3) how to correlate composite metric scores with empiric outcomes. Nevertheless, composite metrics are an attractive type of scoring system to present clinicians with a single number that accounts for many dimensions of their patients' glycemia. If a busy health care professional is looking for a single-number summary statistic to describe glucose levels monitored by a CGM, then a composite metric has many attractive features.
Continuous glucose monitoring
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85089203118&doi=10.1089%2fdia.2019.0434&partnerID=40&md5=53e87377c5c3b0ac9b7e97e124917226; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/13578
- Characterizing blood glucose variability using new metrics with continuous glucose monitoring data.
- Authors: Marling CR, Shubrook JH, Vernier SJ, Wiley MT, Schwartz FL
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 1
- A Simple Composite Metric for the Assessment of Glycemic Status from Continuous Glucose Monitoring Data: Implications for Clinical Practice and the Artificial Pancreas.
- Authors: Hirsch IB, Balo AK, Sayer K, Garcia A, Buckingham BA, Peyser TA
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- The effectiveness of continuous subcutaneous insulin pumps with continuous glucose monitoring in outpatient adolescents with type 1 diabetes: A systematic review.
- Authors: Matsuda E, Brennan P
- Issue date: 2012
- Utility of different glycemic control metrics for optimizing management of diabetes.
- Authors: Kohnert KD, Heinke P, Vogt L, Salzsieder E
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 15
- Role of continuous glucose monitoring for type 2 in diabetes management and research.
- Authors: Vigersky R, Shrivastav M
- Issue date: 2017 Jan