Novel antibacterial calcium phosphate nanocomposite with long-term ion recharge and re-release to inhibit caries
Baras, Bashayer H.
Weir, Michael D.
Melo, Mary Ann S.
Hack, Gary D.
Xu, Hockin H.K.
JournalDental Materials Journal
PublisherNihon Shika Riko Gakkai/Japanese Society for Dental Materials and Devices
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractShort-term studies on calcium-phosphate (CaP) ion-rechargeable composites were reported. The long-term rechargeability is important but unknown. The objectives of this study were to investigate nanocomposite with strong antibacterial and ion-recharge capabilities containing dimethylaminododecyl methacrylate (DMAHDM) and nanoparticles of amorphous calcium phosphate (NACP), and evaluate long-term ion-recharge by testing for 12 cycles (taking 6 months to complete) for the first time. Three groups were tested: (1) Heliomolar control; (2) Resin+20%NACP+50%glass; (3) Resin+3%DMAHDM+20%NACP+50%glass. Biofilm acid and colony-forming units (CFU) were measured. Ion-recharge was tested for 12 cycles. NACP-DMAHDM composite reduced biofilm acid, and reduced CFU by 4 logs. High levels of ion releases were maintained throughout 12 cycles of recharge, maintaining steady-state releases without reduction in 6 months (p>0.1), representing long-term remineralization potential. Bioactive nanocomposite demonstrated long-term ion-rechargeability for the first time, showed remineralization and potent anti-biofilm functions, with promise for tooth restorations to combat caries.
SponsorsThis work was supported by University of Maryland Baltimore PhD graduate program, Beijing Hospitals’ Program ZYLX201703 (YB), University of Maryland School of Dentistry bridging fund (HX), and University of Maryland Baltimore seed grant (HX).
KeywordCalcium phosphate nanoparticles
Ion recharge and re-release
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13549
- Novel rechargeable calcium phosphate nanocomposite with antibacterial activity to suppress biofilm acids and dental caries.
- Authors: Al-Dulaijan YA, Cheng L, Weir MD, Melo MAS, Liu H, Oates TW, Wang L, Xu HHK
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Protein-repellent nanocomposite with rechargeable calcium and phosphate for long-term ion release.
- Authors: Al-Dulaijan YA, Weir MD, Melo MAS, Sun J, Oates TW, Zhang K, Xu HHK
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Novel rechargeable calcium phosphate dental nanocomposite.
- Authors: Zhang L, Weir MD, Chow LC, Antonucci JM, Chen J, Xu HH
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Antibacterial and remineralizing nanocomposite inhibit root caries biofilms and protect root dentin hardness at the margins.
- Authors: Zhou W, Zhou X, Huang X, Zhu C, Weir MD, Melo MAS, Bonavente A, Lynch CD, Imazato S, Oates TW, Cheng L, Xu HHK
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Effect of dimethylaminohexadecyl methacrylate mass fraction on fracture toughness and antibacterial properties of CaP nanocomposite.
- Authors: Wu J, Zhou H, Weir MD, Melo MA, Levine ED, Xu HH
- Issue date: 2015 Dec