mSphere of Influence: Organoids and Single-Cell Sequencing, a Powerful Combination To Uncover Epithelial and Immune Cell Interactions in the Human Gut Environment
AuthorLemme-Dumit, Jose M
PublisherAmerican Society for Microbiology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractJose Lemme-Dumit works in the field of mucosal immunology and vaccines. In this mSphere of Influence article, he reflects on how two papers, "Long-term expansion of epithelial organoids from human colon, adenoma, adenocarcinoma, and Barrett's epithelium" by Sato et al. (T. Sato, D. E. Stange, M. Ferrante, R. G. J. Vries, et al., Gastroenterology 141:1762-1772, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2011.07.050) and "T helper cell cytokines modulate intestinal stem cell renewal and differentiation" by Biton et al. (M. Biton, A. L. Haber, N. Rogel, G. Burgin, et al., Cell 175:1307-1320.E22, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2018.10.008), have influenced his research by describing the development of intestinal organoid cultures and implementation of high-throughput sequencing analysis. The combination of these forefront technologies has expanded opportunities for mechanistic interrogation of host immunity to enteric pathogens. Copyright © 2020 Lemme-Dumit.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2020 Lemme-Dumit.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13501
- On the biomechanics of stem cell niche formation in the gut--modelling growing organoids.
- Authors: Buske P, Przybilla J, Loeffler M, Sachs N, Sato T, Clevers H, Galle J
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Interleukin-22 promotes intestinal-stem-cell-mediated epithelial regeneration.
- Authors: Lindemans CA, Calafiore M, Mertelsmann AM, O'Connor MH, Dudakov JA, Jenq RR, Velardi E, Young LF, Smith OM, Lawrence G, Ivanov JA, Fu YY, Takashima S, Hua G, Martin ML, O'Rourke KP, Lo YH, Mokry M, Romera-Hernandez M, Cupedo T, Dow L, Nieuwenhuis EE, Shroyer NF, Liu C, Kolesnick R, van den Brink MRM, Hanash AM
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 24
- Long-term expansion of epithelial organoids from human colon, adenoma, adenocarcinoma, and Barrett's epithelium.
- Authors: Sato T, Stange DE, Ferrante M, Vries RG, Van Es JH, Van den Brink S, Van Houdt WJ, Pronk A, Van Gorp J, Siersema PD, Clevers H
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Intestinal Organoids as a Novel Tool to Study Microbes-Epithelium Interactions.
- Authors: Nigro G, Hanson M, Fevre C, Lecuit M, Sansonetti PJ
- Issue date: 2019
- Establishment and Culture of Human Intestinal Organoids Derived from Adult Stem Cells.
- Authors: Pleguezuelos-Manzano C, Puschhof J, van den Brink S, Geurts V, Beumer J, Clevers H
- Issue date: 2020 Sep