The Case of Sean Smith: A Three-Part Interactive Module on Transgender Health for Second-Year Medical Students
AuthorBerenson, Marc G
Gavzy, Samuel J
Sánchez, John Paul
JournalMedEdPORTAL : the journal of teaching and learning resources
PublisherAssociation of American Medical Colleges
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntroduction: While great strides have been made in favor of the LGBT community overall, transgender individuals are still facing many legal challenges and suffer from more marked health issues and disparities compared to other members of the LGBT community. Our multimodal transgender curriculum was designed in accordance with the Kern model to address educational gaps in the area of transgender health. Methods: This three-part module consists of: (1) a didactic PowerPoint presentation reviewing unique health issues and disparities experienced by transgender patients, (2) a small-group session viewing and analyzing a pair of videos showcasing competent and poor communication between a provider and a transgender patient, and (3) a large-group patient panel featuring members of the transgender community. Results: One hundred and sixty-one students returned pre- and postworkshop surveys with 123 matched pairs. When comparing participants reported pre- and postworkshop confidence levels, the mean rating increased significantly for all three learning objectives. Based on a 5-point Likert scale (1 = poor, 5 = excellent), participants’ mean ratings were highest for the patient panel at 4.5, compared to 3.9 for the large-group didactic lecture, and 3.8 for the small-group video session. Discussion: The use of this multimodal approach using a didactic session, video-based case discussion, and patient panel provided a strong foundation and primer for transgender health and resulted in an increase in learner confidence in module objectives regarding care for the transgender community.
Rights/Terms© 2020 Berenson et al.
Diversity & Inclusion
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13483
- The Case of Ty Jackson: An Interactive Module on LGBT Health Employing Introspective Techniques and Video-Based Case Discussion.
- Authors: Gavzy SJ, Berenson MG, Decker J, Domogauer J, Alexander A, Pulaski M, Soto-Greene M, Sánchez N, Sánchez JP
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 4
- Interactive Session for Residents and Medical Students on Dermatologic Care for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Patients.
- Authors: Barrett DL, Supapannachart KJ, Caleon RL, Ragmanauskaite L, McCleskey P, Yeung H
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 21
- Early Intervention for LGBTQ Health: A 10-Hour Curriculum for Preclinical Health Professions Students.
- Authors: Minturn MS, Martinez EI, Le T, Nokoff N, Fitch L, Little CE, Lee RS
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 7
- Cancer Screening for Transgender Patients: An Online Case-Based Module.
- Authors: Oller D
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 18
- Beyond Men, Women, or Both: A Comprehensive, LGBTQ-Inclusive, Implicit-Bias-Aware, Standardized-Patient-Based Sexual History Taking Curriculum.
- Authors: Mayfield JJ, Ball EM, Tillery KA, Crandall C, Dexter J, Winer JM, Bosshardt ZM, Welch JH, Dolan E, Fancovic ER, Nañez AI, De May H, Finlay E, Lee SM, Streed CG, Ashraf K
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 28