Chronic-plus-binge alcohol intake induces production of proinflammatory mtDNA-enriched extracellular vesicles and steatohepatitis via ASK1/p38MAPKα-dependent mechanisms
Rodrigues, Robim M
PublisherThe American Society for Clinical Investigation
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlcohol-associated liver disease is a spectrum of liver disorders with histopathological changes ranging from simple steatosis to steatohepatitis, cirrhosis, and hepatocellular carcinoma. Recent data suggest that chronic-plus-binge ethanol intake induces steatohepatitis by promoting release by hepatocytes of proinflammatory mitochondrial DNA-enriched (mtDNA-enriched) extracellular vesicles (EVs). The aim of the present study was to investigate the role of the stress kinase apoptosis signal-regulating kinase 1 (ASK1) and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (p38) in chronic-plus-binge ethanol-induced steatohepatitis and mtDNA-enriched EV release. Microarray analysis revealed the greatest hepatic upregulation of metallothionein 1 and 2 (Mt1/2), which encode 2 of the most potent antioxidant proteins. Genetic deletion of the Mt1 and Mt2 genes aggravated ethanol-induced liver injury, as evidenced by elevation of serum ALT, neutrophil infiltration, oxidative stress, and ASK1/p38 activation in the liver. Inhibition or genetic deletion of Ask1 or p38 ameliorated ethanol-induced liver injury, inflammation, ROS levels, and expression of phagocytic oxidase and ER stress markers in the liver. In addition, inhibition of ASK1 or p38 also attenuated ethanol-induced mtDNA-enriched EV secretion from hepatocytes. Taken together, these findings indicate that induction of hepatic mtDNA-enriched EVs by ethanol is dependent on ASK1 and p38, thereby promoting alcoholic steatohepatitis.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13468
- Obesity and binge alcohol intake are deadly combination to induce steatohepatitis: A model of high-fat diet and binge ethanol intake.
- Authors: Hwang S, Ren T, Gao B
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Mitochondrial DNA-enriched microparticles promote acute-on-chronic alcoholic neutrophilia and hepatotoxicity.
- Authors: Cai Y, Xu MJ, Koritzinsky EH, Zhou Z, Wang W, Cao H, Yuen PS, Ross RA, Star RA, Liangpunsakul S, Gao B
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 20
- CYP2E1 potentiates binge alcohol-induced gut leakiness, steatohepatitis, and apoptosis.
- Authors: Abdelmegeed MA, Banerjee A, Jang S, Yoo SH, Yun JW, Gonzalez FJ, Keshavarzian A, Song BJ
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Inflammation is independent of steatosis in a murine model of steatohepatitis.
- Authors: Wang W, Xu MJ, Cai Y, Zhou Z, Cao H, Mukhopadhyay P, Pacher P, Zheng S, Gonzalez FJ, Gao B
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- Oxidative and ER stress-dependent ASK1 activation in steatotic hepatocytes and Kupffer cells sensitizes mice fatty liver to ischemia/reperfusion injury.
- Authors: Imarisio C, Alchera E, Bangalore Revanna C, Valente G, Follenzi A, Trisolini E, Boldorini R, Carini R
- Issue date: 2017 Nov