Pretreatment clamping of pulmonary artery during uniportal thoracoscopic lobectomy
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Intraoperative pulmonary artery (PA) hemorrhage is one of the leading reasons for conversion from uniportal VATS to open thoracotomy, especially for the small incision (≤3 cm) uniportal VATS performed by our department. So, We designed a technology called pretreatment clamping of the pulmonary artery, which may be helpful to solve the problem. METHODS: A retrospective analysis of 19 patients who had pulmonary artery bleeding during uniportal thoracoscopic lobectomy in which one group had undergone preventive pulmonary artery clamping, the clamping group (n = 11), and one group which did not receive preventive clamping, the non-clamping group (n = 8). We compared the rates of conversion from the uniportal VATS approach to open thoracotomy or multi-incision operation, duration of pulmonary artery repair, blood loss, length of postoperative hospital stay and postoperative complications of the two groups. RESULTS: Compared to the non-clamping group, the clamping group had lower rates of conversion to open thoracotomy (0% vs 62.5%, p < 0.05) and lower rates of conversion to multi-incision operations (18.2% of non-clamping converted to 2-port approach vs 12.5% of clamping converted to 2-port approach and 12.5% converted to 3-port approach, p < 0.05). Duration of pulmonary artery repair was reduced in the clamping group (10.1 ± 3.2 min vs 18.3 ± 5.5 min, p < 0.05). The clamping group also had decreased blood loss (23.6 ± 11.2 ml vs 47.5 ± 14.9 ml, p<0.05). There were no significant differences in postoperative hospital stay and postoperative complications between the two groups. CONCLUSION: Pretreatment clamping of the pulmonary artery in VATS lobectomy can decrease conversion rates, decrease blood loss, shorten repairing time of the pulmonary artery, and feasibly can be applied in uniportal thoracoscopic lobectomy.
Pretreatment clamping of pulmonary artery
Pulmonary artery bleeding
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13467
- Modular Uniportal Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Lobectomy and Lymphadenectomy: A Novel Pattern of Endoscopic Lung Cancer Resection.
- Authors: Cai Y, Han Y, Zhang N, Fu S, Deng Y, Fu X
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Uniportal video-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy: an alternative to conventional thoracoscopic lobectomy in lung cancer surgery?
- Authors: Chung JH, Choi YS, Cho JH, Kim HK, Kim J, Zo JI, Shim YM
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Needlescopic-assisted thoracoscopic pulmonary anatomical lobectomy and segmentectomy for lung cancer: a bridge between multiportal and uniportal thoracoscopic surgery.
- Authors: Ko HJ, Chiang XH, Yang SM, Yang MC
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- The feasibility and advantage of uniportal video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) in pulmonary lobectomy.
- Authors: Wang L, Liu D, Lu J, Zhang S, Yang X
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 25
- The Feasibility and Advantages of Subxiphoid Uniportal Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery in Pulmonary Lobectomy.
- Authors: Yang X, Wang L, Zhang C, Zhao D, Lu Y, Wang Z
- Issue date: 2019 Jul