Quantifying topography-guided actin dynamics across scales using optical flow
AuthorLee, Rachel M
Hourwitz, Matt J
Fourkas, John T
JournalMolecular Biology of the Cell
PublisherAmerican Society for Cell Biology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe dynamic rearrangement of the actin cytoskeleton is an essential component of many mechanotransduction and cellular force generation pathways. Here we use periodic surface topographies with feature sizes comparable to those of in vivo collagen fibers to measure and compare actin dynamics for two representative cell types that have markedly different migratory modes and physiological purposes: slowly migrating epithelial MCF10A cells and polarizing, fast-migrating, neutrophil-like HL60 cells. Both cell types exhibit reproducible guidance of actin waves (esotaxis) on these topographies, enabling quantitative comparisons of actin dynamics. We adapt a computer-vision algorithm, optical flow, to measure the directions of actin waves at the submicron scale. Clustering the optical flow into regions that move in similar directions enables micron-scale measurements of actin-wave speed and direction. Although the speed and morphology of actin waves differ between MCF10A and HL60 cells, the underlying actin guidance by nanotopography is similar in both cell types at the micron and submicron scales.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13462
- Asymmetric nanotopography biases cytoskeletal dynamics and promotes unidirectional cell guidance.
- Authors: Sun X, Driscoll MK, Guven C, Das S, Parent CA, Fourkas JT, Losert W
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 13
- Actin Cytoskeleton and Focal Adhesions Regulate the Biased Migration of Breast Cancer Cells on Nanoscale Asymmetric Sawteeth.
- Authors: Chen S, Hourwitz MJ, Campanello L, Fourkas JT, Losert W, Parent CA
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 26
- Membrane curvature underlies actin reorganization in response to nanoscale surface topography.
- Authors: Lou HY, Zhao W, Li X, Duan L, Powers A, Akamatsu M, Santoro F, McGuire AF, Cui Y, Drubin DG, Cui B
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 12
- Two distinct actin waves correlated with turns-and-runs of crawling microglia.
- Authors: Yang TD, Park K, Park JS, Lee JH, Choi E, Lee J, Choi W, Choi Y, Lee KJ
- Issue date: 2019
- Topography on a subcellular scale modulates cellular adhesions and actin stress fiber dynamics in tumor associated fibroblasts.
- Authors: Azatov M, Sun X, Suberi A, Fourkas JT, Upadhyaya A
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 3