Quantifying topography-guided actin dynamics across scales using optical flow
AuthorLee, Rachel M
Hourwitz, Matt J
Fourkas, John T
JournalMolecular Biology of the Cell
PublisherAmerican Society for Cell Biology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe dynamic rearrangement of the actin cytoskeleton is an essential component of many mechanotransduction and cellular force generation pathways. Here we use periodic surface topographies with feature sizes comparable to those of in vivo collagen fibers to measure and compare actin dynamics for two representative cell types that have markedly different migratory modes and physiological purposes: slowly migrating epithelial MCF10A cells and polarizing, fast-migrating, neutrophil-like HL60 cells. Both cell types exhibit reproducible guidance of actin waves (esotaxis) on these topographies, enabling quantitative comparisons of actin dynamics. We adapt a computer-vision algorithm, optical flow, to measure the directions of actin waves at the submicron scale. Clustering the optical flow into regions that move in similar directions enables micron-scale measurements of actin-wave speed and direction. Although the speed and morphology of actin waves differ between MCF10A and HL60 cells, the underlying actin guidance by nanotopography is similar in both cell types at the micron and submicron scales.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13462
- Two distinct actin waves correlated with turns-and-runs of crawling microglia.
- Authors: Yang TD, Park K, Park JS, Lee JH, Choi E, Lee J, Choi W, Choi Y, Lee KJ
- Issue date: 2019
- Amplification of actin polymerization forces.
- Authors: Dmitrieff S, Nédélec F
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 28
- Influence of semiflexible structural features of actin cytoskeleton on cell stiffness based on actin microstructural modeling.
- Authors: Wang K, Sun D
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 26
- Vinculin-dependent actin bundling regulates cell migration and traction forces.
- Authors: Jannie KM, Ellerbroek SM, Zhou DW, Chen S, Crompton DJ, García AJ, DeMali KA
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 1
- Excitable actin dynamics and amoeboid cell migration.
- Authors: Ecker N, Kruse K
- Issue date: 2021