Intensive care and anesthesia management for HARPOON beating heart mitral valve repair.
JournalAnnals of Cardiac Anaesthesia
PublisherWolters Kluwer Health
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPatients with severe mitral valve regurgitation secondary to degenerative disease are known to benefit from mitral valve repair surgery. Novel techniques for achieving mitral valve repair on the beating heart have been developed and are being introduced into clinical practice. The HARPOON Beating Heart Mitral Valve Repair System (MVRS) in recent studies has demonstrated efficacy and safety for the repair of degenerative mitral valve disease on the beating heart. The device uses transoesophageal echocardiographic guidance to implant artificial expanded polytetrafluoroethylene (ePTFE) cords on prolapsed mitral valve leaflets in the beating heart. It requires general anaesthesia and there are specific intensive care and anaesthesia considerations for the safe management of these cases. This article describes the general principles of intensive care and anaesthesia management employed for the initial patients treated with the HARPOON Beating Heart MVRS, the outcomes for these patients, and the potential challenges for the future management of these cases.
Keywordcardiovascular anaesthesia and surgery
catheter-based coronary and valvular interventions
mitral valve repair
valvular heart disease
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/13441
- Beating-Heart Mitral Valve Repair Using a Novel ePTFE Cordal Implantation Device: A Prospective Trial.
- Authors: Gammie JS, Bartus K, Gackowski A, D'Ambra MN, Szymanski P, Bilewska A, Kusmierczyk M, Kapelak B, Rzucidlo-Resil J, Moat N, Duncan A, Yadev R, Livesey S, Diprose P, Gerosa G, D'Onofrio A, Pitterello D, Denti P, La Canna G, De Bonis M, Alfieri O, Hung J, Kolsut P
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 2
- Transoesophageal echo-guided mitral valve repair using the Harpoon system.
- Authors: Gerosa G, D'Onofrio A, Besola L, Colli A
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 1
- Transapical Beating-Heart Mitral Valve Repair With an Expanded Polytetrafluoroethylene Cordal Implantation Device: Initial Clinical Experience.
- Authors: Gammie JS, Wilson P, Bartus K, Gackowski A, Hung J, D'Ambra MN, Kolsut P, Bittle GJ, Szymanski P, Sadowski J, Kapelak B, Bilewska A, Kusmierczyk M, Ghoreishi M
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 19
- Echocardiographic guidance for HARPOON beating-heart mitral valve repair.
- Authors: Gackowski A, D'Ambra MN, Diprose P, Szymański P, Duncan A, Bartus K, Gammie JS
- Issue date: 2022 Jan 24
- Safety and performance of a novel transventricular beating heart mitral valve repair system: 1-year outcomes.
- Authors: Gammie JS, Bartus K, Gackowski A, Szymanski P, Bilewska A, Kusmierczyk M, Kapelak B, Rzucidlo-Resil J, Duncan A, Yadav R, Livesey S, Diprose P, Gerosa G, D'Onofrio A, Pittarello D, Denti P, La Canna G, De Bonis M, Alfieri O, Hung J, Kolsut P, D'Ambra MN
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 4