Pilot study of neurologic toxicity in mice after proton minibeam therapy
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractProton minibeams (MBs) comprised of parallel planar beamlets were evaluated for their ability to spare healthy brain compared to proton broad beams (BBs). Juvenile mice were given partial brain irradiation of 10 or 30 Gy integral dose using 100 MeV protons configured either as BBs or arrays of 0.3-mm planar MBs spaced 1.0 mm apart on center. Neurologic toxicity was evaluated during an 8-month surveillance: no overt constitutional or neurologic dysfunction was noted for any study animals. Less acute epilation was observed in MB than BB mice. Persistent chronic inflammation was noted along the entire BB path in BB mice whereas inflammation was confined to just within the MB peak regions in MB mice. The potential neurologic sparing, possibly via reduced volume of chronic inflammation, offers a compelling rationale for clinical advancement of this proton technique. Copyright 2020, The Author(s).
SponsorsUniversity of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center P30 CA16672; National Institutes of Health, NIH 1R21CA191818
Keywordproton broad beams (BBs)
proton minibeams (MBs)
Proton Therapy--adverse effects
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85087718709&doi=10.1038%2fs41598-020-68015-0&partnerID=40&md5=0fb9939bd675ee815394e914460ee6b6; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/13367
- Minibeam therapy with protons and light ions: physical feasibility and potential to reduce radiation side effects and to facilitate hypofractionation.
- Authors: Dilmanian FA, Eley JG, Krishnan S
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 1
- Towards proton arc therapy: physical and biologically equivalent doses with increasing number of beams in pediatric brain irradiation.
- Authors: Toussaint L, Indelicato DJ, Holgersen KS, Petersen JBB, Stokkevåg CH, Lassen-Ramshad Y, Casares-Magaz O, Vestergaard A, Muren LP
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Proton minibeam radiation therapy spares normal rat brain: Long-Term Clinical, Radiological and Histopathological Analysis.
- Authors: Prezado Y, Jouvion G, Hardy D, Patriarca A, Nauraye C, Bergs J, González W, Guardiola C, Juchaux M, Labiod D, Dendale R, Jourdain L, Sebrie C, Pouzoulet F
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 31
- Tumor Control in RG2 Glioma-Bearing Rats: A Comparison Between Proton Minibeam Therapy and Standard Proton Therapy.
- Authors: Prezado Y, Jouvion G, Guardiola C, Gonzalez W, Juchaux M, Bergs J, Nauraye C, Labiod D, De Marzi L, Pouzoulet F, Patriarca A, Dendale R
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 1
- Proton Minibeam Radiation Therapy Reduces Side Effects in an In Vivo Mouse Ear Model.
- Authors: Girst S, Greubel C, Reindl J, Siebenwirth C, Zlobinskaya O, Walsh DWM, Ilicic K, Aichler M, Walch A, Wilkens JJ, Multhoff G, Dollinger G, Schmid TE
- Issue date: 2016 May 1