Pilot study of neurologic toxicity in mice after proton minibeam therapy
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractProton minibeams (MBs) comprised of parallel planar beamlets were evaluated for their ability to spare healthy brain compared to proton broad beams (BBs). Juvenile mice were given partial brain irradiation of 10 or 30 Gy integral dose using 100 MeV protons configured either as BBs or arrays of 0.3-mm planar MBs spaced 1.0 mm apart on center. Neurologic toxicity was evaluated during an 8-month surveillance: no overt constitutional or neurologic dysfunction was noted for any study animals. Less acute epilation was observed in MB than BB mice. Persistent chronic inflammation was noted along the entire BB path in BB mice whereas inflammation was confined to just within the MB peak regions in MB mice. The potential neurologic sparing, possibly via reduced volume of chronic inflammation, offers a compelling rationale for clinical advancement of this proton technique. Copyright 2020, The Author(s).
SponsorsUniversity of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center P30 CA16672; National Institutes of Health, NIH 1R21CA191818
Keywordproton broad beams (BBs)
proton minibeams (MBs)
Proton Therapy--adverse effects
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85087718709&doi=10.1038%2fs41598-020-68015-0&partnerID=40&md5=0fb9939bd675ee815394e914460ee6b6; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/13367
- Minibeam therapy with protons and light ions: physical feasibility and potential to reduce radiation side effects and to facilitate hypofractionation.
- Authors: Dilmanian FA, Eley JG, Krishnan S
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 1
- Charged Particle Therapy with Mini-Segmented Beams.
- Authors: Dilmanian FA, Eley JG, Rusek A, Krishnan S
- Issue date: 2015
- Proton pencil minibeam irradiation of an in-vivo mouse ear model spares healthy tissue dependent on beam size.
- Authors: Sammer M, Zahnbrecher E, Dobiasch S, Girst S, Greubel C, Ilicic K, Reindl J, Schwarz B, Siebenwirth C, Walsh DWM, Combs SE, Dollinger G, Schmid TE
- Issue date: 2019
- Optimization of the mechanical collimation for minibeam generation in proton minibeam radiation therapy.
- Authors: Guardiola C, Peucelle C, Prezado Y
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Optimization of hexagonal-pattern minibeams for spatially fractionated radiotherapy using proton beam scanning.
- Authors: Charyyev S, Artz M, Szalkowski G, Chang CW, Stanforth A, Lin L, Zhang R, Wang CC
- Issue date: 2020 Aug