Estimating the incidence of influenza at the state level - Utah, 2016-17 and 2017-18 influenza seasons
JournalMorbidity and Mortality Weekly Report
PublisherDepartment of Health and Human Services
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWhat is already known about this topic? Influenza activity can vary widely based on geographic location, and national data on the numbers of persons affected by influenza do not reflect this potential variation. What is added by this report? Application of national methods to estimate the burden of influenza at the state level found that influenza affected 9% and 11% of Utah residents during the 2016-17 and 2017-18 influenza seasons, respectively. What are the implications for public health practice? Local estimation of influenza disease burden can help public health officials, policymakers, and clinicians tailor influenza messaging, planning, and responses for their jurisdictions. State and county health departments might consider adapting these methods to their jurisdictions in future influenza seasons.
SponsorsCouncil of State and Territorial Epidemiologists, CSTE
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85076958924&doi=10.15585%2fmmwr.mm6850a2&partnerID=40&md5=f55a9904366079ff04e38e902ccd4685; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/13318
- Severe illness from 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1)--Utah, 2009-10 influenza season.
- Authors: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 30
- Estimated influenza illnesses and hospitalizations averted by vaccination--United States, 2013-14 influenza season.
- Authors: Reed C, Kim IK, Singleton JA, Chaves SS, Flannery B, Finelli L, Fry A, Burns E, Gargiullo P, Jernigan D, Cox N, Bresee J, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 12
- Annual estimates of the burden of seasonal influenza in the United States: A tool for strengthening influenza surveillance and preparedness.
- Authors: Rolfes MA, Foppa IM, Garg S, Flannery B, Brammer L, Singleton JA, Burns E, Jernigan D, Olsen SJ, Bresee J, Reed C
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Incidence of medically attended influenza during pandemic and post-pandemic seasons through the Influenza Incidence Surveillance Project, 2009-13.
- Authors: Fowlkes A, Steffens A, Temte J, Lonardo SD, McHugh L, Martin K, Rubino H, Feist M, Davis C, Selzer C, Lojo J, Oni O, Kurkjian K, Thomas A, Boulton R, Bryan N, Lynfield R, Biggerstaff M, Finelli L, Influenza Incidence Surveillance Project Working Group.
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Seasonal Incidence of Symptomatic Influenza in the United States.
- Authors: Tokars JI, Olsen SJ, Reed C
- Issue date: 2018 May 2