Implementation of Continuous Glucose Monitoring in the Hospital: Emergent Considerations for Remote Glucose Monitoring During the COVID-19 Pandemic
JournalJournal of Diabetes Science and Technology
PublisherSAGE Publications Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractContinuous glucose monitoring (CGM) has become a widely used tool in the ambulatory setting for monitoring glucose levels, as well as detecting uncontrolled hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, and glycemic variability. The accuracy of some CGM systems has recently improved to the point of manufacture with factory calibration and Food and Drug Administration clearance for nonadjunctive use to dose insulin. In this commentary, we analyze the answers to six questions about what is needed to bring CGM into the hospital as a reliable, safe, and effective tool. The evidence to date indicates that CGM offers promise as an effective tool for monitoring hospitalized patients. During the current coronavirus disease 2019 crisis, we hope to provide guidance to healthcare professionals, who are seeking to reduce exposure to SARS-Cov-2, as well as preserve invaluable personal protective equipment. In this commentary, we address who, what, where, when, why, and how CGM can be adopted for inpatient use.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85087280533&doi=10.1177%2f1932296820932903&partnerID=40&md5=e7652ae7a223a75554aa1e7fb40612b8; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/13316
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Critically Ill Patients With COVID-19: Results of an Emergent Pilot Study.
- Authors: Sadhu AR, Serrano IA, Xu J, Nisar T, Lucier J, Pandya AR, Patham B
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- Glucose Monitoring and Diabetes Management in the Time of Coronavirus Disease 2019.
- Authors: Welsh JB, Hu G, Walker TC, Sharma N, Cherñavvsky D
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Learning From COVID-19 and Looking to Technology Ahead.
- Authors: Toft AD
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring: A Review of Successes, Challenges, and Opportunities.
- Authors: Rodbard D
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- The impact of strict COVID-19 lockdown in Spain on glycemic profiles in patients with type 1 Diabetes prone to hypoglycemia using standalone continuous glucose monitoring.
- Authors: Mesa A, Viñals C, Pueyo I 1st, Roca D, Vidal M, Giménez M, Conget I
- Issue date: 2020 Sep