Extracellular vesicle biomarkers of Alzheimer's disease associated with sub-clinical cognitive decline in late middle age
JournalAlzheimer's and Dementia
PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntroduction: Neuronal extracellular vesicle (nEV) tau and insulin signaling biomarkers may detect preclinical Alzheimer's disease and age-associated cognitive decline. Methods: This case-control study used repeated serum samples from 73 cognitively declining and 73 stable Wisconsin Registry for Alzheimer's Prevention participants (62.4 ± 6.3 years old). We immunocaptured nEVs; measured tau and insulin signaling biomarkers; and examined biomarker differences by group, their performance in group classification in training and test datasets (97, 49 individuals, respectively), and whether they predict cognitive performance change. Results: Declining compared to stable individuals showed higher baseline total, p231-, and p181-tau with older age and higher annualized change for p-IR and p-IGF-1R. Combining biomarkers classified decliners with 94% area under the curve (AUC), 86.0% sensitivity and 86.7% specificity, in training data, and 75% AUC, 71.4% sensitivity, and 77.3% specificity, in test data. Insulin biomarkers predicted cognitive performance change prospectively. Discussion: Combining nEV biomarkers can identify individuals with age-associated cognitive decline.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85087174414&doi=10.1002%2falz.12130&partnerID=40&md5=9a9a6cd9c09f4630ed1b75f7c59e3b6b; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/13315
- Blood phosphorylated tau 181 as a biomarker for Alzheimer's disease: a diagnostic performance and prediction modelling study using data from four prospective cohorts.
- Authors: Karikari TK, Pascoal TA, Ashton NJ, Janelidze S, Benedet AL, Rodriguez JL, Chamoun M, Savard M, Kang MS, Therriault J, Schöll M, Massarweh G, Soucy JP, Höglund K, Brinkmalm G, Mattsson N, Palmqvist S, Gauthier S, Stomrud E, Zetterberg H, Hansson O, Rosa-Neto P, Blennow K
- Issue date: 2020 May
- Amyloid and tau imaging biomarkers explain cognitive decline from late middle-age.
- Authors: Betthauser TJ, Koscik RL, Jonaitis EM, Allison SL, Cody KA, Erickson CM, Rowley HA, Stone CK, Mueller KD, Clark LR, Carlsson CM, Chin NA, Asthana S, Christian BT, Johnson SC
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 1
- Extracellular Vesicle Biomarkers Track Cognitive Changes Following Intranasal Insulin in Alzheimer's Disease.
- Authors: Mustapic M, Tran J, Craft S, Kapogiannis D
- Issue date: 2019
- Neuronal and Astrocytic Extracellular Vesicle Biomarkers in Blood Reflect Brain Pathology in Mouse Models of Alzheimer's Disease.
- Authors: Delgado-Peraza F, Nogueras-Ortiz CJ, Volpert O, Liu D, Goetzl EJ, Mattson MP, Greig NH, Eitan E, Kapogiannis D
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 23
- Plasma and CSF biomarkers for the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease in adults with Down syndrome: a cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Fortea J, Carmona-Iragui M, Benejam B, Fernández S, Videla L, Barroeta I, Alcolea D, Pegueroles J, Muñoz L, Belbin O, de Leon MJ, Maceski AM, Hirtz C, Clarimón J, Videla S, Delaby C, Lehmann S, Blesa R, Lleó A
- Issue date: 2018 Oct