Heterotopic Porcine Cardiac Xenotransplantation in the Intra-Abdominal Position in a Non-Human Primate Model
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHeterotopic cardiac transplantation in the intra-abdominal position in a large animal model has been essential in the progression of the field of cardiac transplantation. Our group has over 10 years of experience in cardiac xenotransplantation with pig to baboon models, the longest xenograft of which survived over 900 days, with rejection only after reducing immunosuppression. This article aims to clarify our approach to this model in order to allow others to share success in long-term survival. Here, we demonstrate the approach to implantation of a cardiac graft into the intra-abdominal position in a baboon recipient for the study of transplantation and briefly highlight our model's ability to provide insight into not only xenotransplantation but across disciplines. We include details that have provided us with consistent success in this model; performance of the anastomoses, de-airing of the graft, implantation of a long-term telemetry device for invasive graft monitoring, and ideal geometric positioning of the heart and telemetry device in the limited space of the recipient abdomen. We additionally detail surveillance techniques to assess long-term graft function. Copyright 2020, The Author(s).
SponsorsThis study was supported by funding from United Therapeutics, Inc and the NIAID, NIH grant 5U19090959-10.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85087218003&doi=10.1038%2fs41598-020-66430-x&partnerID=40&md5=07a69b535060213253ec0ca78b5d0501; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/13294
- Technique for heterotopic pig heart xenotransplantation in primates.
- Authors: Adams DH, Chen RH, Kadner A, Naficy S
- Issue date: 1999 Jul
- First experience with heterotopic thoracic pig-to-baboon cardiac xenotransplantation.
- Authors: Bauer A, Postrach J, Thormann M, Blanck S, Faber C, Wintersperger B, Michel S, Abicht JM, Christ F, Schmitz C, Schmoeckel M, Reichart B, Brenner P
- Issue date: 2010 May-Jun
- Left ventricular pressure measurement by telemetry is an effective means to evaluate transplanted heart function in experimental heterotopic cardiac xenotransplantation.
- Authors: Horvath KA, Corcoran PC, Singh AK, Hoyt RF, Carrier C, Thomas ML 3rd, Mohiuddin MM
- Issue date: 2010 Jul-Aug
- Encouraging experience using multi-transgenic xenografts in a pig-to-baboon cardiac xenotransplantation model.
- Authors: Chan JL, Singh AK, Corcoran PC, Thomas ML, Lewis BG, Ayares DL, Vaught T, Horvath KA, Mohiuddin MM
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Perioperative Telemetric Monitoring in Pig-to-Baboon Heterotopic Thoracic Cardiac Xenotransplantation.
- Authors: Längin M, Panelli A, Reichart B, Kind A, Brenner P, Mayr T, Abicht JM
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 20