Personality and local brain structure: Their shared genetic basis and reproducibility
PublisherAcademic Press Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLocal cortical architecture is highly heritable and distinct genes are associated with specific cortical regions. Total surface area has been shown to be genetically correlated with complex cognitive capacities, suggesting cortical brain structure is a viable endophenotype linking genes to behavior. However, to what extend local brain structure has a genetic association with cognitive and emotional functioning is incompletely understood. Here, we study the genetic correlation between personality traits and local cortical structure in a large-scale twin sample (Human Connectome Project, n = 1102, 22-37y) and we evaluated whether observed associations reflect generalizable relationships between personality and local brain structure two independent age-matched samples (Brain Genomics Superstructure Project: n = 925, age = 19-35y, enhanced Nathan Kline Institute dataset: n = 209, age: 19-39y). We found a genetic overlap between personality traits and local cortical structure in 10 of 18 observed phenotypic associations in predominantly frontal cortices. However, we only observed evidence in favor of replication for the negative association between surface area in medial prefrontal cortex and Neuroticism in both replication samples. Quantitative functional decoding indicated this region is implicated in emotional and socio-cognitive functional processes. In sum, our observations suggest that associations between local brain structure and personality are, in part, under genetic control. However, associations are weak and only the relation between frontal surface area and Neuroticism was consistently observed across three independent samples of young adults.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85087030421&doi=10.1016%2fj.neuroimage.2020.117067&partnerID=40&md5=56076e55602dd3d25d4b18b890c8b01f; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/13219
- Behavioral, Anatomical and Heritable Convergence of Affect and Cognition in Superior Frontal Cortex.
- Authors: Kraljević N, Schaare HL, Eickhoff SB, Kochunov P, Yeo BTT, Kharabian Masouleh S, Valk SL
- Issue date: 2021 Nov
- Analysis of alcohol use disorders from the Nathan Kline Institute-Rockland Sample: Correlation of brain cortical thickness with neuroticism.
- Authors: Zhao Y, Zheng ZL, Castellanos FX
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 1
- Surface-based morphometry reveals the neuroanatomical basis of the five-factor model of personality.
- Authors: Riccelli R, Toschi N, Nigro S, Terracciano A, Passamonti L
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 1
- The genetics of cortical myelination in young adults and its relationships to cerebral surface area, cortical thickness, and intelligence: A magnetic resonance imaging study of twins and families.
- Authors: Schmitt JE, Raznahan A, Liu S, Neale MC
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 1
- Intra-cortical myelin mediates personality differences.
- Authors: Toschi N, Passamonti L
- Issue date: 2019 Aug