Factor VIII and Functional Protein C Activity in Critically Ill Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019: A Case Series
PublisherWolters Kluwer Health
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCritically ill patients with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) have been observed to be hypercoagulable, but the mechanisms for this remain poorly described. Factor VIII is a procoagulant factor that increases during inflammation and is cleaved by activated protein C. To our knowledge, there is only 1 prior study of factor VIII and functional protein C activity in critically ill patients with COVID-19. Here, we present a case series of 10 critically ill patients with COVID-19 who had severe elevations in factor VIII activity and low normal functional protein C activity, which may have contributed to hypercoagulability.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85086621687&doi=10.1213%2fXAA.0000000000001236&partnerID=40&md5=42f6aa9cc1ef067ff24119f1152b1a55; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/13204
- Critically ill COVID-19 infected patients exhibit increased clot waveform analysis parameters consistent with hypercoagulability.
- Authors: Tan CW, Low JGH, Wong WH, Chua YY, Goh SL, Ng HJ
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Respiratory Pathophysiology of Mechanically Ventilated Patients with COVID-19: A Cohort Study.
- Authors: Ziehr DR, Alladina J, Petri CR, Maley JH, Moskowitz A, Medoff BD, Hibbert KA, Thompson BT, Hardin CC
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 15
- Epidemiology, clinical course, and outcomes of critically ill adults with COVID-19 in New York City: a prospective cohort study.
- Authors: Cummings MJ, Baldwin MR, Abrams D, Jacobson SD, Meyer BJ, Balough EM, Aaron JG, Claassen J, Rabbani LE, Hastie J, Hochman BR, Salazar-Schicchi J, Yip NH, Brodie D, O'Donnell MR
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 6
- Coronavirus epidemic: preparing for extracorporeal organ support in intensive care.
- Authors: Ronco C, Navalesi P, Vincent JL
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Clinical Characteristics and Morbidity Associated With Coronavirus Disease 2019 in a Series of Patients in Metropolitan Detroit.
- Authors: Suleyman G, Fadel RA, Malette KM, Hammond C, Abdulla H, Entz A, Demertzis Z, Hanna Z, Failla A, Dagher C, Chaudhry Z, Vahia A, Abreu Lanfranco O, Ramesh M, Zervos MJ, Alangaden G, Miller J, Brar I
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 1