Factor VIII and Functional Protein C Activity in Critically Ill Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019: A Case Series
PublisherWolters Kluwer Health
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCritically ill patients with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) have been observed to be hypercoagulable, but the mechanisms for this remain poorly described. Factor VIII is a procoagulant factor that increases during inflammation and is cleaved by activated protein C. To our knowledge, there is only 1 prior study of factor VIII and functional protein C activity in critically ill patients with COVID-19. Here, we present a case series of 10 critically ill patients with COVID-19 who had severe elevations in factor VIII activity and low normal functional protein C activity, which may have contributed to hypercoagulability.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85086621687&doi=10.1213%2fXAA.0000000000001236&partnerID=40&md5=42f6aa9cc1ef067ff24119f1152b1a55; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/13204
- Critically ill COVID-19 infected patients exhibit increased clot waveform analysis parameters consistent with hypercoagulability.
- Authors: Tan CW, Low JGH, Wong WH, Chua YY, Goh SL, Ng HJ
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Hemostasis profile in COVID-19 infection.
- Authors: Duarte FB, Machado RPG, Lemes RPG, Duarte IA, Duarte BA, Machado CMG, Duarte JVA, Rocha SGMD, Moura ATG, Holanda RARR
- Issue date: 2020 May
- Clinical Characteristics of Patients with Severe Pneumonia Caused by the SARS-CoV-2 in Wuhan, China.
- Authors: Wang Y, Zhou Y, Yang Z, Xia D, Hu Y, Geng S
- Issue date: 2020
- Determinants of COVID-19 disease severity in patients with underlying rheumatic disease.
- Authors: Santos CS, Morales CM, Álvarez ED, Castro CÁ, Robles AL, Sandoval TP
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- Circulating Plasminogen Concentration at Admission in Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
- Authors: Henry BM, Benoit SW, Hoehn J, Lippi G, Favaloro EJ, Benoit JL
- Issue date: 2020 Oct