JournalInternational journal of molecular sciences
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHyperuricemia, or elevated serum urate, causes urate kidney stones and gout and also increases the incidence of many other conditions including renal disease, cardiovascular disease, and metabolic syndrome. As we gain mechanistic insight into how urate contributes to human disease, a clear sex difference has emerged in the physiological regulation of urate homeostasis. This review summarizes our current understanding of urate as a disease risk factor and how being of the female sex appears protective. Further, we review the mechanisms of renal handling of urate and the significant contributions from powerful genome-wide association studies of serum urate. We also explore the role of sex in the regulation of specific renal urate transporters and the power of new animal models of hyperuricemia to inform on the role of sex and hyperuricemia in disease pathogenesis. Finally, we advocate the use of sex differences in urate handling as a potent tool in gaining a further understanding of physiological regulation of urate homeostasis and for presenting new avenues for treating the constellation of urate related pathologies.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85086754027&doi=10.3390%2fijms21124269&partnerID=40&md5=dd09c7345fabdc282ae1bc29a8383207; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/13184
- GLUT9 influences uric acid concentration in patients with Lesch-Nyhan disease.
- Authors: Torres RJ, Puig JG
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- ABCG2 dysfunction increases the risk of renal overload hyperuricemia.
- Authors: Matsuo H, Takada T, Nakayama A, Shimizu T, Sakiyama M, Shimizu S, Chiba T, Nakashima H, Nakamura T, Takada Y, Sakurai Y, Hosoya T, Shinomiya N, Ichida K
- Issue date: 2014
- Trans-ancestral dissection of urate- and gout-associated major loci SLC2A9 and ABCG2 reveals primate-specific regulatory effects.
- Authors: Takei R, Cadzow M, Markie D, Bixley M, Phipps-Green A, Major TJ, Li C, Choi HK, Li Z, Hu H, Eurogout Consortium., Guo H, He M, Shi Y, Stamp LK, Dalbeth N, Merriman TR, Wei WH
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- The association between genetic polymorphisms in ABCG2 and SLC2A9 and urate: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Lukkunaprasit T, Rattanasiri S, Turongkaravee S, Suvannang N, Ingsathit A, Attia J, Thakkinstian A
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 21
- Recent advances in renal urate transport: characterization of candidate transporters indicated by genome-wide association studies.
- Authors: Anzai N, Jutabha P, Amonpatumrat-Takahashi S, Sakurai H
- Issue date: 2012 Feb