The Role of Bone Morphogenetic Protein Signaling in Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNon-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) affects over 30% of adults in the United States. Bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) signaling is known to contribute to hepatic fibrosis, but the role of BMP signaling in the development of NAFLD is unclear. In this study, treatment with either of two BMP inhibitors reduced hepatic triglyceride content in diabetic (db/db) mice. BMP inhibitor-induced decrease in hepatic triglyceride levels was associated with decreased mRNA encoding Dgat2, an enzyme integral to triglyceride synthesis. Treatment of hepatoma cells with BMP2 induced DGAT2 expression and activity via intracellular SMAD signaling. In humans we identified a rare missense single nucleotide polymorphism in the BMP type 1 receptor ALK6 (rs34970181;R371Q) associated with a 2.1-fold increase in the prevalence of NAFLD. In vitro analyses revealed R371Q:ALK6 is a previously unknown constitutively active receptor. These data show that BMP signaling is an important determinant of NAFLD in a murine model and is associated with NAFLD in humans. Copyright 2020, The Author(s).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85086740071&doi=10.1038%2fs41598-020-66770-8&partnerID=40&md5=c3cfc64aad5f22231a6e2798e2ff075d; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/13175
- Bone morphogenetic protein-binding endothelial regulator of liver sinusoidal endothelial cells induces iron overload in a fatty liver mouse model.
- Authors: Hasebe T, Tanaka H, Sawada K, Nakajima S, Ohtake T, Fujiya M, Kohgo Y
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Crocin ameliorates hepatic steatosis through activation of AMPK signaling in db/db mice.
- Authors: Luo L, Fang K, Dan X, Gu M
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 8
- The Dipeptidyl Peptidase-4 Inhibitor Teneligliptin Attenuates Hepatic Lipogenesis via AMPK Activation in Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease Model Mice.
- Authors: Ideta T, Shirakami Y, Miyazaki T, Kochi T, Sakai H, Moriwaki H, Shimizu M
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 8
- Bone morphogenetic protein 4 (BMP4) alleviates hepatic steatosis by increasing hepatic lipid turnover and inhibiting the mTORC1 signaling axis in hepatocytes.
- Authors: Peng Q, Chen B, Wang H, Zhu Y, Wu J, Luo Y, Zuo G, Luo J, Zhou L, Shi Q, Weng Y, Huang A, He TC, Fan J
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 12
- Activin A receptor type 1-mediated BMP signaling regulates RANKL-induced osteoclastogenesis via canonical SMAD-signaling pathway.
- Authors: Omi M, Kaartinen V, Mishina Y
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 22