Cartography of opportunistic pathogens and antibiotic resistance genes in a tertiary hospital environment
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlthough disinfection is key to infection control, the colonization patterns and resistomes of hospital-environment microbes remain underexplored. We report the first extensive genomic characterization of microbiomes, pathogens and antibiotic resistance cassettes in a tertiary-care hospital, from repeated sampling (up to 1.5 years apart) of 179 sites associated with 45 beds. Deep shotgun metagenomics unveiled distinct ecological niches of microbes and antibiotic resistance genes characterized by biofilm-forming and human-microbiome-influenced environments with corresponding patterns of spatiotemporal divergence. Quasi-metagenomics with nanopore sequencing provided thousands of high-contiguity genomes, phage and plasmid sequences (>60% novel), enabling characterization of resistome and mobilome diversity and dynamic architectures in hospital environments. Phylogenetics identified multidrug-resistant strains as being widely distributed and stably colonizing across sites. Comparisons with clinical isolates indicated that such microbes can persist in hospitals for extended periods (>8 years), to opportunistically infect patients. These findings highlight the importance of characterizing antibiotic resistance reservoirs in hospitals and establish the feasibility of systematic surveys to target resources for preventing infections. Copyright 2020, The Author(s).
Drug Resistance, Microbial
Tertiary Care Centers
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85086157299&doi=10.1038%2fs41591-020-0894-4&partnerID=40&md5=fe735467fad1814dc1d9435943b1b7f8; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/13112
- Metagenomics Reveals a Core Macrolide Resistome Related to Microbiota in Chronic Respiratory Disease.
- Authors: Mac Aogáin M, Lau KJX, Cai Z, Kumar Narayana J, Purbojati RW, Drautz-Moses DI, Gaultier NE, Jaggi TK, Tiew PY, Ong TH, Siyue Koh M, Lim Yick Hou A, Abisheganaden JA, Tsaneva-Atanasova K, Schuster SC, Chotirmall SH
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 1
- Approaches for characterizing and tracking hospital-associated multidrug-resistant bacteria.
- Authors: Blake KS, Choi J, Dantas G
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- Studies of antimicrobial resistance in rare mycobacteria from a nosocomial environment.
- Authors: Pereira SG, Alarico S, Tiago I, Reis D, Nunes-Costa D, Cardoso O, Maranha A, Empadinhas N
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 19
- Spatiotemporal dynamics of multidrug resistant bacteria on intensive care unit surfaces.
- Authors: D'Souza AW, Potter RF, Wallace M, Shupe A, Patel S, Sun X, Gul D, Kwon JH, Andleeb S, Burnham CD, Dantas G
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 8
- Multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii clones persist on hospital inanimate surfaces.
- Authors: Rocha IV, Xavier DE, Almeida KRH, Oliveira SR, Leal NC
- Issue date: 2018 Sep - Oct