Histone Demethylase JMJD1A Promotes Tumor Progression via Activating Snail in Prostate Cancer
JournalMolecular cancer research : MCR
PublisherAmerican Association for Cancer Research.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe histone demethylase JMJD1A plays a key functional role in spermatogenesis, sex determination, stem cell renewal, and cancer via removing mono- and di-methyl groups from H3K9 to epigenetically control gene expression. However, its role in prostate cancer progression remains unclear. Here, we found JMJD1A was significantly elevated in prostate cancer tissue compared with matched normal tissue. Ectopic JMJD1A expression in prostate cancer cells promoted proliferation, migration, and invasion in vitro, and tumorigenesis in vivo; JMJD1A knockdown exhibited the opposite effects. Mechanically, we revealed that JMJD1A directly interacted with the Snail gene promoter and regulated its transcriptional activity, promoting prostate cancer progression both in vitro and in vivo. Furthermore, we found that JMJD1A transcriptionally activated Snail expression via H3K9me1 and H3K9me2 demethylation at its special promoter region. In summary, our studies reveal JMJD1A plays an important role in regulating proliferation and progression of prostate cancer cells though Snail, and thus highlight JMJD1A as potential therapeutic target for advanced prostate cancer. IMPLICATIONS: Our studies identify that JMJD1A promotes the proliferation and progression of prostate cancer cells through enabling Snail transcriptional activation, and thus highlight JMJD1A as potential therapeutic target for advanced prostate cancer.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85084961065&doi=10.1158%2f1541-7786.MCR-19-0889&partnerID=40&md5=94b8c2449b1f8468538f78e5f144ca95; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/12908
- Regulation of c-Myc expression by the histone demethylase JMJD1A is essential for prostate cancer cell growth and survival.
- Authors: Fan L, Peng G, Sahgal N, Fazli L, Gleave M, Zhang Y, Hussain A, Qi J
- Issue date: 2016 May 12
- Histone demethylase JMJD1A promotes urinary bladder cancer progression by enhancing glycolysis through coactivation of hypoxia inducible factor 1α.
- Authors: Wan W, Peng K, Li M, Qin L, Tong Z, Yan J, Shen B, Yu C
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 6
- JMJD1A, H3K9me1, H3K9me2 and ADM expression as prognostic markers in oral and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Maia LL, Peterle GT, Dos Santos M, Trivilin LO, Mendes SO, de Oliveira MM, Dos Santos JG, Stur E, Agostini LP, Couto CVMDS, Dalbó J, de Assis ALEM, Archanjo AB, Mercante AMDC, Lopez RVM, Nunes FD, de Carvalho MB, Tajara EH, Louro ID, Álvares-da-Silva AM
- Issue date: 2018
- Histone demethylase JMJD1A promotes alternative splicing of AR variant 7 (AR-V7) in prostate cancer cells.
- Authors: Fan L, Zhang F, Xu S, Cui X, Hussain A, Fazli L, Gleave M, Dong X, Qi J
- Issue date: 2018 May 15
- Histone demethylase Jumonji domain-containing 1A inhibits proliferation and progression of gastric cancer by upregulating runt-related transcription factor 3.
- Authors: Ning K, Shao Y, He Y, Wang F, Cui X, Liu F, Li D, Li F
- Issue date: 2020 Oct