Respiratory Protection Considerations for Healthcare Workers During the COVID-19 Pandemic
PublisherMary Ann Liebert
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in a surge of patients that exceeds available human and physical resources in many settings, triggering the implementation of crisis standards of care. High-quality respiratory protection is essential to reduce exposure among healthcare workers, yet dire shortages of personal protective equipment in the United States threaten the health and safety of this essential workforce. In the context of rapidly changing conditions and incomplete data, this article outlines 3 important strategies to improve healthcare workers' respiratory protection. At a minimum, healthcare workers delivering care to patients with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 should wear N95 respirators and full-face shields. Several mechanisms exist to boost and protect the supply of N95 respirators, including rigorous decontamination protocols, invoking the Defense Production Act, expanded use of reusable elastomeric respirators, and repurposing industrial N95 respirators. Finally, homemade facial coverings do not protect healthcare workers and should be avoided. These strategies, coupled with longer-term strategies of investments in protective equipment research, infrastructure, and data systems, provide a framework to protect healthcare workers immediately and enhance preparedness efforts for future pandemics.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85084616526&doi=10.1089%2fhs.2020.0036&partnerID=40&md5=416cc7e8354502189f3058b5c2d28981; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/12842
- Facial protection for healthcare workers during pandemics: a scoping review.
- Authors: Garcia Godoy LR, Jones AE, Anderson TN, Fisher CL, Seeley KML, Beeson EA, Zane HK, Peterson JW, Sullivan PD
- Issue date: 2020 May
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) in a pandemic: Approaches to PPE preservation for South African healthcare facilities.
- Authors: Roux CL, Dramowski A
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 30
- COVID-19 in Africa: care and protection for frontline healthcare workers.
- Authors: Chersich MF, Gray G, Fairlie L, Eichbaum Q, Mayhew S, Allwood B, English R, Scorgie F, Luchters S, Simpson G, Haghighi MM, Pham MD, Rees H
- Issue date: 2020 May 15
- COVID-19 and ophthalmology: An environmental work hazard.
- Authors: Kuo IC, O'Brien TP
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Medical masks vs N95 respirators for preventing COVID-19 in healthcare workers: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials.
- Authors: Bartoszko JJ, Farooqi MAM, Alhazzani W, Loeb M
- Issue date: 2020 Jul