Phosphodiesterase 5 (PDE5) restricts intracellular cGMP accumulation during enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli infection
PublisherTaylor and Francis Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDiarrhea caused by enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC) has a continuing impact on residents and travelers in underdeveloped countries. Both heat-labile (LT) and heat-stable (ST) enterotoxins contribute to pathophysiology via induction of cyclic nucleotide synthesis, and previous investigations focused on intracellular signal transduction rather than possible intercellular second messenger signaling. We modeled ETEC infection in human jejunal enteroid/organoid monolayers (HEM) and evaluated cyclic nucleotide pools, finding that intracellular cAMP was significantly increased but also underwent apical export, whereas cGMP was minimally retained intracellularly and predominantly effluxed into the basolateral space. LT and virulence factors including EatA, EtpA, and CfaE promoted ST release and enhanced ST-stimulated cGMP production. Intracellular cGMP was regulated by MK-571-sensitive export in addition to degradation by phosphodiesterase 5. HEMs had limited ST-induced intracellular cGMP accumulation compared to T84 or Caco-2 models. Cyclic nucleotide export/degradation demonstrates additional complexity in the mechanism of ETEC infection and may redirect understanding of diarrheal onset. Copyright 2020, The Author(s).
E. coli heat-labile enterotoxin
E. coli heat-stable enterotoxin
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85084360909&doi=10.1080%2f19490976.2020.1752125&partnerID=40&md5=d9981be31a643d7f38366ae92b2a424d; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/12775
- Molecular Determinants of Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli Heat-Stable Toxin Secretion and Delivery.
- Authors: Zhu Y, Luo Q, Davis SM, Westra C, Vickers TJ, Fleckenstein JM
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- Mechanical Stimuli Affect Escherichia coli Heat-Stable Enterotoxin-Cyclic GMP Signaling in a Human Enteroid Intestine-Chip Model.
- Authors: Sunuwar L, Yin J, Kasendra M, Karalis K, Kaper J, Fleckenstein J, Donowitz M
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 20
- Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli Heat-Stable Toxin Increases the Rate of Zinc Release from Metallothionein and Is a Zinc- and Iron-Binding Peptide.
- Authors: Kiefer MC, Motyka NI, Clements JD, Bitoun JP
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 1
- Inverse relationship between heat stable enterotoxin-b induced fluid accumulation and adherence of F4ac-positive enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli in ligated jejunal loops of F4ab/ac fimbria receptor-positive swine.
- Authors: Erume J, Wijemanne P, Berberov EM, Kachman SD, Oestmann DJ, Francis DH, Moxley RA
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 25
- IscR Regulates Synthesis of Colonization Factor Antigen I Fimbriae in Response to Iron Starvation in Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli.
- Authors: Haines S, Arnaud-Barbe N, Poncet D, Reverchon S, Wawrzyniak J, Nasser W, Renauld-Mongénie G
- Issue date: 2015 Sep