MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSex determination mechanisms often differ even between related species yet the evolution of sex chromosomes remains poorly understood in all but a few model organisms. Some nematodes such as Caenorhabditis elegans have an XO sex determination system while others, such as the filarial parasite Brugia malayi, have an XY mechanism. We present a complete B. malayi genome assembly and define Nigon elements shared with C. elegans, which we then map to the genomes of other filarial species and more distantly related nematodes. We find a remarkable plasticity in sex chromosome evolution with several distinct cases of neo-X and neo-Y formation, X-added regions, and conversion of autosomes to sex chromosomes from which we propose a model of chromosome evolution across different nematode clades. The phylum Nematoda offers a new and innovative system for gaining a deeper understanding of sex chromosome evolution. Copyright 2020, The Author(s).
SponsorsThis project was in part funded by the Burroughs-Wellcome Fund; federal funds from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services under grant number U19 AI110820; the Medical Research Council grant MR/L001020/1, and Wellcome grant 098051.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85083815566&doi=10.1038%2fs41467-020-15654-6&partnerID=40&md5=47b44a5c7ecc355d916f0106fe9231f1; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/12705
- Pan-phylum Comparison of Nematode Metabolic Potential.
- Authors: Tyagi R, Rosa BA, Lewis WG, Mitreva M
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Conservation of long-range synteny and microsynteny between the genomes of two distantly related nematodes.
- Authors: Guiliano DB, Hall N, Jones SJ, Clark LN, Corton CH, Barrell BG, Blaxter ML
- Issue date: 2002 Sep 26
- Homologs of the Caenorhabditis elegans masculinizing gene her-1 in C. briggsae and the filarial parasite Brugia malayi.
- Authors: Streit A, Li W, Robertson B, Schein J, Kamal IH, Marra M, Wood WB
- Issue date: 1999 Aug
- A genome sequence survey of the filarial nematode Brugia malayi: repeats, gene discovery, and comparative genomics.
- Authors: Whitton C, Daub J, Quail M, Hall N, Foster J, Ware J, Ganatra M, Slatko B, Barrell B, Blaxter M
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- How to become a parasite - lessons from the genomes of nematodes.
- Authors: Dieterich C, Sommer RJ
- Issue date: 2009 May