JournalJournal of clinical sleep medicine : JCSM : official publication of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine
PublisherThe American Academy of Sleep Medicine
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInnovation stems from necessity. A nationwide shortage of medical specialists coupled with a tech-savvy patient population is an opportunity for advances in health care access. Because sleep medicine is a not a procedure-based specialty, our field holds special promise for telehealth-based approaches. Across the United States, there is a marked shortage of sleep medicine physicians, with an estimated patient to physician ratio of 43,000:1. Validated questionnaires for estimating pretest probability for sleep-disordered breathing, computer-based cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBT-I), home sleep testing, actigraphy, commercial wearables, and modem-enabled continuous positive airway pressure devices provide a robust platform for effective sleep telehealth. Sleep telehealth has already been evaluated in a number of settings and has promise for remote care in particular.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85083621741&doi=10.5664%2fjcsm.8404&partnerID=40&md5=ce11a88e7583ffa80ab00b99eb02623e; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/12666
- Return from the darkside--Sleep Medicine fellowship training: past, present and future.
- Authors: Quan SF
- Issue date: 2011 Jun 15
- The Past Is Prologue: The Future of Sleep Medicine.
- Authors: Watson NF, Rosen IM, Chervin RD, Board of Directors of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 15
- Future of the RCVS fellowship.
- Authors: Penny RH
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 12
- A dozen years of American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) International Mini-Fellowship: program evaluation and future directions.
- Authors: Ioachimescu OC, Wickwire EM, Harrington J, Kristo D, Arnedt JT, Ramar K, Won C, Billings ME, DelRosso L, Williams S, Paruthi S, AASM Education Committee members., Morgenthaler TI, AASM Board of Directors Liaison for the Education Committee.
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 15
- Canada produces its first MD specializing in telemedicine.
- Authors: Osorio L
- Issue date: 1998 May 19