Review of Emerging Pharmacotherapy for the Treatment of Coronavirus Disease 2019
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS‐CoV‐2) has evolved into an emergent global pandemic. Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID‐19) can manifest on a spectrum of illness from mild disease to severe respiratory failure requiring intensive care unit (ICU) admission. As the incidence continues to rise at a rapid pace, critical care teams are faced with challenging treatment decisions. There is currently no widely accepted standard of care in the pharmacological management of patients with COVID‐19. Urgent identification of potential treatment strategies is a priority. Therapies include novel agents available in clinical trials or through compassionate use, and other drugs, repurposed antiviral and immune modulating therapies. Many have demonstrated in vitro or in vivo potential against other viruses that are similar to SARS‐CoV‐2. Critically ill patients with COVID‐19 have additional considerations related to adjustments for organ impairment and renal replacement therapies, complex lists of concurrent medications, limitations with drug administration and compatibility, and unique toxicities that should be evaluated when utilizing these therapies. The purpose of this review is to summarize practical considerations for pharmacotherapy in patients with COVID‐19, with the intent of serving as a resource for health care providers at the forefront of clinical care during this pandemic.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85083259068&doi=10.1002%2fphar.2398&partnerID=40&md5=a1a94ac6731e400b78180d8bb4224187; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/12639
- Psychopharmacology of COVID-19.
- Authors: Bilbul M, Paparone P, Kim AM, Mutalik S, Ernst CL
- Issue date: 2020 Sep-Oct
- Early experience with remdesivir in SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia.
- Authors: Durante-Mangoni E, Andini R, Bertolino L, Mele F, Florio LL, Murino P, Corcione A, Zampino R
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of effectiveness of treatment options against SARS-CoV-2 infection.
- Authors: Thoguluva Chandrasekar V, Venkatesalu B, Patel HK, Spadaccini M, Manteuffel J, Ramesh M
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- Principles of Care for Patients with Liver Disease During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic: Position Statement of the Saudi Association for the Study of Liver Disease and Transplantation.
- Authors: Alqahtani SA, Aljumah AA, Hashim A, Alenazi TH, AlJawad M, Al Hamoudi WK, Alghamdi MY
- Issue date: 2020 Jul-Aug
- Compounds with Therapeutic Potential against Novel Respiratory 2019 Coronavirus.
- Authors: Martinez MA
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 21