COVID-19 and Lessons to be Learned from Prior Coronavirus Outbreaks
JournalAnnals of the American Thoracic Society
PublisherAmerican Thoracic Society
MetadataShow full item record
Coronaviruses are large RNA viruses that are endemic among bats globally. These bat viruses are known to readily recombine and present an ever-present potential to jump host species, allowing for emergence into novel hosts. Four seasonal human coronaviruses (hCoV) circulate yearly as mild “common cold” viruses causing upper respiratory symptoms: OC43, HKU1, NL63, and 229E. Additionally, three novel coronaviruses have emerged as zoonotic human infections in the past 17 years. SARS-coronavirus (SARS-CoV), Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV), and the 2019 novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) have each been associated with lower respiratory symptoms, progressing in a subset of individuals to acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) and death.
SponsorsM.E.D. was supported by the National Institutes of Health [T32AI007524] during preparation and writing of this manuscript. W.H.C was supported by the University of Maryland, Baltimore, Institute for Clinical & Translational Research (ICTR) and the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS) Clinical Translational Science Award (CTSA) grant number 1UL1TR003098. The funding source had no involvement in preparation or decision to publish this manuscript. The views expressed in this article do not communicate an official position of the University of Maryland.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85083202704&doi=10.1513%2fAnnalsATS.202002-149PS&partnerID=40&md5=05a55cc335fed7815195b4eae725a2c7; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/12638
- SARS-CoV-2: What do we know so far?
- Authors: Khedkar PH, Patzak A
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Pathophysiology and treatment strategies for COVID-19.
- Authors: Kumar M, Al Khodor S
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 15
- Surgical Considerations for Tracheostomy During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Lessons Learned From the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Outbreak.
- Authors: Tay JK, Khoo ML, Loh WS
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 1
- Risk factors for viral RNA shedding in COVID-19 patients.
- Authors: Fu Y, Han P, Zhu R, Bai T, Yi J, Zhao X, Tao M, Quan R, Chen C, Zhang Y, He Q, Jing M, Xiong X, Tian D, Yan W
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- China Coronavirus Outbreak: All the Latest Updates.
- Authors: Scotti L, Scotti MT
- Issue date: 2020