A harmonized meta-knowledgebase of clinical interpretations of somatic genomic variants in cancer
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrecision oncology relies on accurate discovery and interpretation of genomic variants, enabling individualized diagnosis, prognosis and therapy selection. We found that six prominent somatic cancer variant knowledgebases were highly disparate in content, structure and supporting primary literature, impeding consensus when evaluating variants and their relevance in a clinical setting. We developed a framework for harmonizing variant interpretations to produce a meta-knowledgebase of 12,856 aggregate interpretations. We demonstrated large gains in overlap between resources across variants, diseases and drugs as a result of this harmonization. We subsequently demonstrated improved matching between a patient cohort and harmonized interpretations of potential clinical significance, observing an increase from an average of 33% per individual knowledgebase to 57% in aggregate. Our analyses illuminate the need for open, interoperable sharing of variant interpretation data. We also provide a freely available web interface (search.cancervariants.org) for exploring the harmonized interpretations from these six knowledgebases.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85083041229&doi=10.1038%2fs41588-020-0603-8&partnerID=40&md5=3490ff7e92a0861dcf4cb6093fa0ada3; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/12626
- CIViCpy: A Python Software Development and Analysis Toolkit for the CIViC Knowledgebase.
- Authors: Wagner AH, Kiwala S, Coffman AC, McMichael JF, Cotto KC, Mooney TB, Barnell EK, Krysiak K, Danos AM, Walker J, Griffith OL, Griffith M
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Somatic cancer variant curation and harmonization through consensus minimum variant level data.
- Authors: Ritter DI, Roychowdhury S, Roy A, Rao S, Landrum MJ, Sonkin D, Shekar M, Davis CF, Hart RK, Micheel C, Weaver M, Van Allen EM, Parsons DW, McLeod HL, Watson MS, Plon SE, Kulkarni S, Madhavan S, ClinGen Somatic Cancer Working Group.
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 4
- The cancer precision medicine knowledge base for structured clinical-grade mutations and interpretations.
- Authors: Huang L, Fernandes H, Zia H, Tavassoli P, Rennert H, Pisapia D, Imielinski M, Sboner A, Rubin MA, Kluk M, Elemento O
- Issue date: 2017 May 1
- PreMedKB: an integrated precision medicine knowledgebase for interpreting relationships between diseases, genes, variants and drugs.
- Authors: Yu Y, Wang Y, Xia Z, Zhang X, Jin K, Yang J, Ren L, Zhou Z, Yu D, Qing T, Zhang C, Jin L, Zheng Y, Guo L, Shi L
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 8
- Variant Interpretation for Cancer (VIC): a computational tool for assessing clinical impacts of somatic variants.
- Authors: He MM, Li Q, Yan M, Cao H, Hu Y, He KY, Cao K, Li MM, Wang K
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 23