PublisherPublic Library of Science
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlthough liquid biopsies offer many advantages over tissue biopsies, they are not yet standard practice. An important reason for the lack of implementation is the unavailability of well standardized techniques and guidelines, especially for pre-analytical conditions which are an important factor causing the current sensitivity issues. To overcome these limitations, we investigated the effect of several pre-analytical conditions on the concentration of cell-free DNA (cfDNA) and cellular genomic DNA (gDNA) contamination. Urine samples from healthy volunteers (HVs) and cancer patients were collected and processed according to specific pre-analytical conditions. Our results show that in samples with a relatively small volume more than 50% of the cfDNA can be found in the first 50 mL of the urine sample. The total DNA concentration increased again when samples were collected more than 3.5 hours apart. Adding preservative to urine samples is recommended to obtain high concentrations of cfDNA. To remove the cellular content, high speed centrifugation protocols as 4,000g 10min or 3,000g 15min are ideal for urine collected in cfDNA Urine Preserve (Streck). Although this study was a pilot study and needs to be confirmed in a larger study population, clear trends in the effect of several pre-analytical conditions were observed. Copyright 2020 Augustus et al.
SponsorsResearch project funded by Kom Op Tegen Kanker (Stand up to Cancer), the Flemish cancer society. https://www.komoptegenkanker.be.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85083014302&doi=10.1371%2fjournal.pone.0231058&partnerID=40&md5=60f8a8990589b13f51f5c69c7ea9ec6d; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/12614
- Investigation of Preanalytical Variables Impacting Pathogen Cell-Free DNA in Blood and Urine.
- Authors: Murugesan K, Hogan CA, Palmer Z, Reeve B, Theron G, Andama A, Somoskovi A, Steadman A, Madan D, Andrews J, Croda J, Sahoo MK, Cattamanchi A, Pinsky BA, Banaei N
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Ultrasensitive hybridization capture: Reliable detection of <1 copy/mL short cell-free DNA from large-volume urine samples.
- Authors: Oreskovic A, Lutz BR
- Issue date: 2021
- Quantification of circulating cell-free DNA (cfDNA) in urine using a newborn piglet model of asphyxia.
- Authors: Rajar P, Åsegg-Atneosen M, Saugstad OD, Solberg R, Baumbusch LO
- Issue date: 2019
- Urinary Cell-Free DNA: Isolation, Quantification, and Quality Assessment.
- Authors: Casadio V, Salvi S
- Issue date: 2019
- A novel urine cell-free DNA preservation solution and its application in kidney transplantation.
- Authors: Zhou Q, Liu F, Guo L, Chen R, Yuan X, Li C, Shu L, Liu H, Zhou Y, Wu Y, Shi H, Zhao H, Jiang T
- Issue date: 2021 Aug