Gen1 mutation caused kidney hypoplasia and defective ureter-bladder connections in mice
JournalInternational journal of biological sciences
PublisherIvyspring International Publisher
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLimited genetic factors were uncovered for the development of congenital anomalies of the kidney and urinary tract (CAKUT). We previously reported that a Holliday junction resolvase Gen1 was essential for early metanephric development in mice. This comprehensive follow-up study focused on the roles of Gen1 in late metanephric development. We found that Gen1 mutation impaired the late development of both kidney and urinary tract. In vivo and ex-vivo kidney primordia culture confirmed decreased ureteric bud branching in Gen1 mutants, which consequently caused hypoplasia. We also observed abnormal urinary tract development. Programmed apoptosis at the end of nephric duct disappeared in Gen1 mutants, which caused abnormal ureter-bladder connections, leading to vesicoureteral reflux (VUR) or ureterovesical junction obstruction (UVJO). Mechanistically, RNA-seq analysis proved that Gen1 mutation impaired the expression of multiple regulatory genes for the metanephric development, including Six2. Taken together, our study provides more insight into the roles of Gen1 in the development of the kidney and urinary tract, which may have potential clinical significance in the treatment and/or prevention of CAKUT. Copyright The author(s).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85082603687&doi=10.7150%2fijbs.42855&partnerID=40&md5=86ee7c64f25e395fc8953f1d13b77a89; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/12575
- Disruption of <i>Gen1</i> Causes Congenital Anomalies of the Kidney and Urinary Tract in Mice.
- Authors: Wang H, Zhang C, Wang X, Lian Y, Guo B, Han M, Zhang X, Zhu X, Xu S, Guo Z, Bi Y, Shen Q, Wang X, Liu J, Zhuang Y, Ni T, Xu H, Wu X
- Issue date: 2018
- Gen1 Modulates Metanephric Morphology Through Retinoic Acid Signaling.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Zhang X, Wang X, Wang H, Wu X, Xu H, Shen Q
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- New congenital anomalies of the kidney and urinary tract and outcomes in Robo2 mutant mice with the inserted piggyBac transposon.
- Authors: Liu J, Sun L, Shen Q, Wu X, Xu H
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 26
- Islet1 deletion causes kidney agenesis and hydroureter resembling CAKUT.
- Authors: Kaku Y, Ohmori T, Kudo K, Fujimura S, Suzuki K, Evans SM, Kawakami Y, Nishinakamura R
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- How they begin and how they end: classic and new theories for the development and deterioration of congenital anomalies of the kidney and urinary tract, CAKUT.
- Authors: Pope JC 4th, Brock JW 3rd, Adams MC, Stephens FD, Ichikawa I
- Issue date: 1999 Sep