Identification of sequence changes responsible for the attenuation of avian infectious bronchitis virus strain Arkansas DPI
JournalArchives of Virology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInfectious bronchitis virus (IBV) is the causal agent of infectious bronchitis, which still remains one of the most important poultry diseases worldwide because of numerous serotypes and variants. A virulent strain of IBV, isolated from Arkansas (Ark), was propagated in embryonated eggs (Ark DPI 11). Following 101 serial passages in embryonated eggs, an attenuated strain of IBV was established (Ark DPI 101) that does not induce histopathological lesions in the tracheae of infected chicks. To identify sequence changes responsible for the attenuation of IBV, complete genome sequences of both virulent and attenuated Ark DPI viruses were obtained. Comparison of the genome sequences of the virulent and attenuated Ark DPI viruses reveals that these viruses are similar and differ only by 21 nucleotides, resulting in 17 amino acids changes. Most of those substitutions are located in the replicase 1a and spike genes. No differences were observed in gene 3, M or 5a, and only one nucleotide substitution each was present in 5b, N and 3?UTR. By comparing the deduced amino acid sequences of virulent and attenuated viruses, we identified sequence changes responsible for the adaptation and attenuation of the IBV-Ark DPI strain.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-62149104395&doi=10.1007%2fs00705-009-0325-9&partnerID=40&md5=9646cf7e8b3d3901af09609783d1e437; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/12433
- Complete genomic sequence analysis of infectious bronchitis virus Ark DPI strain and its evolution by recombination.
- Authors: Ammayappan A, Upadhyay C, Gelb J Jr, Vakharia VN
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 22
- Emergence of subtype strains of the Arkansas serotype of infectious bronchitis virus in Delmarva broiler chickens.
- Authors: Nix WA, Troeber DS, Kingham BF, Keeler CL Jr, Gelb J Jr
- Issue date: 2000 Jul-Sep
- Isolation and Characteristics of the Arkansas-Type Infectious Bronchitis Virus in China.
- Authors: Han Z, Jiang L, Zhao W, Chen Y, Xu L, Sun J, Zhao Y, Liu S
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- Kidney Cell-Adapted Infectious Bronchitis ArkDPI Vaccine is Stable and Protective.
- Authors: Zegpi RA, Breedlove C, van Santen VL, Rasmussen-Ivey CR, Toro H
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Changes in nonstructural protein 3 are associated with attenuation in avian coronavirus infectious bronchitis virus.
- Authors: Phillips JE, Jackwood MW, McKinley ET, Thor SW, Hilt DA, Acevedol ND, Williams SM, Kissinger JC, Paterson AH, Robertson JS, Lemke C
- Issue date: 2012 Feb