Pre- and postexposure efficacy of fully human antibodies against Spike protein in a novel humanized mouse model of MERS-CoV infection
JournalProceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America
PublisherNational Academy of Sciences
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTraditional approaches to antimicrobial drug development are poorly suited to combatting the emergence of novel pathogens. Additionally, the lack of small animal models for these infections hinders the in vivo testing of potential therapeutics. Here we demonstrate the use of the VelocImmune technology (a mouse that expresses human antibody-variable heavy chains and ? light chains) alongside the VelociGene technology (which allows for rapid engineering of the mouse genome) to quickly develop and evaluate antibodies against an emerging viral disease. Specifically, we show the rapid generation of fully human neutralizing antibodies against the recently emerged Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) and development of a humanized mouse model for MERS-CoV infection, which was used to demonstrate the therapeutic efficacy of the isolated antibodies. The VelocImmune and VelociGene technologies are powerful platforms that can be used to rapidly respond to emerging epidemics.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-84937107017&doi=10.1073%2fpnas.1510830112&partnerID=40&md5=ba32413c1ad77dce2a80e340f0bbf9e1; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/12405
- A Novel Nanobody Targeting Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) Receptor-Binding Domain Has Potent Cross-Neutralizing Activity and Protective Efficacy against MERS-CoV.
- Authors: Zhao G, He L, Sun S, Qiu H, Tai W, Chen J, Li J, Chen Y, Guo Y, Wang Y, Shang J, Ji K, Fan R, Du E, Jiang S, Li F, Du L, Zhou Y
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 15
- No evidence for a superior platform to develop therapeutic antibodies rapidly in response to MERS-CoV and other emerging viruses.
- Authors: Dimitrov DS, Jiang S, Ying T, Tseng CT, Zhang L, Yuen KY
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 15
- Neutralizing Monoclonal Antibodies as Promising Therapeutics against Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus Infection.
- Authors: Han HJ, Liu JW, Yu H, Yu XJ
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 30
- Ultrapotent Human Neutralizing Antibody Repertoires Against Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus From a Recovered Patient.
- Authors: Niu P, Zhang S, Zhou P, Huang B, Deng Y, Qin K, Wang P, Wang W, Wang X, Zhou J, Zhang L, Tan W
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 8
- Prophylactic and postexposure efficacy of a potent human monoclonal antibody against MERS coronavirus.
- Authors: Corti D, Zhao J, Pedotti M, Simonelli L, Agnihothram S, Fett C, Fernandez-Rodriguez B, Foglierini M, Agatic G, Vanzetta F, Gopal R, Langrish CJ, Barrett NA, Sallusto F, Baric RS, Varani L, Zambon M, Perlman S, Lanzavecchia A
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 18