Evaluation and Management of Dysphagia in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis: A Survey of Speech-Language Pathologists' Clinical Practice
JournalJournal of clinical neuromuscular disease
PublisherWolters Kluwer Health
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVES: The aim of this study was to determine the evaluation and management of dysphagia in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) patients by speech-language pathologists (SLPs). METHODS: A 15-question web-based survey sent to SLPs in general clinical practice. RESULTS: Forty-nine SLPs responded. Although only 8 (17.0%) of the SLPs worked in ALS clinics, 46 (93.9%) had worked with ALS patients. A variety of dysphagia evaluation protocols were used by 43 (97.7%) SLPs. Most SLPs, 40 (88.9%), recommended instrumental assessments, but timing and indication varied greatly: 19 (42.2%) SLPs recommended this at baseline even without bulbar symptoms, whereas others recommended this based on symptoms and/or clinical assessments. CONCLUSIONS: There is currently no uniform approach as to the indication, timing, and specific methods to use in the evaluation of dysphagia in ALS patients among SLPs. There is need for further research to assist in the development of definitive guideline recommendations for this population.
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85080843164&doi=10.1097%2fCND.0000000000000281&partnerID=40&md5=8655ed26dbe275c5d63bd9a9cc69410d; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/12234
- Management of swallowing and communication difficulties in Down syndrome: A survey of speech-language pathologists.
- Authors: Meyer C, Theodoros D, Hickson L
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Dysphagia therapy post stroke: An exploration of the practices and clinical decision-making of speech-language pathologists in Australia.
- Authors: Jones O, Cartwright J, Whitworth A, Cocks N
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Dysphagia management: a survey of school-based speech-language pathologists in Vermont.
- Authors: Hutchins TL, Gerety KW, Mulligan M
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- Clinical Practice Patterns of Speech-Language Pathologists Delivering Dysphagia Services to Persons with COPD: Analysis of Survey Outcomes.
- Authors: Drulia T, Hodge A
- Issue date: 2021 Nov
- What is the chin-down posture? A questionnaire survey of speech language pathologists in Japan and the United States.
- Authors: Okada S, Saitoh E, Palmer JB, Matsuo K, Yokoyama M, Shigeta R, Baba M
- Issue date: 2007 Jul